Writing guitar parts to basslines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jan 20, 2001.

1. Does anyone know any effective methods of wrting guitar parts to basslines?
  2. Uuuuh...well, last time when one of our drummer/guitarists and I just started messing around with some pure drum & bass stuff while we were waiting for our other guitarist/drummer to arrive at practice, I got a pretty simple little bass line going. Then he told me to keep going with it, and he stopped with the drums, picked up his guitar, and watched my left hand to see what key(s) I was playing in, and just sorta let a couple chords go, and then threw in a little solo over a portion of it...

That sounded kinda complicated, huh?
  3. davy, as a songwriting bassist, my biggest problem is writing a complex, impressive bassline, and then finding anything on guitar that sounds good with it. that's why i like to start writing on guitar a lot, it keeps my basslines simple and tasteful. as far as putting guitar to your lines, my advice would be to keep it simple at first. figure out the basic chord progression of your line, and then have your guitarist play power chords along with it at first. if you just jam and let it evolve, you'll probably end up with something decent.