Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Writing Harmonics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ryan K, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    In standard notation...how would you write harmonics in between frets? I know for the ones over frets you put a diamond headed note where the fretted note would be...but i just want to know how you do it with harmonics at like 3.2 or 2.7. I wasnt sure if i should use quarter sharps or 3/4 sharps? Any help on the subject would be appreciated.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Since you're talking standard notation, here you'd notate them the same.

Just because they're between frets, they're still (generally) actual notes, not quarter tones or anything.

Notate the actual note they represent.

Having said this, harmonics are not in tune. But, generally the ones that you can produce with any kind of volume/clarity on a bass, are near enough in tune that you could confidently say which note they are.

The harmonics representing the 7th and 9th are I suppose the most iffy, tuning wise. But they're still very definitely b7 and 9. Above that, and you can't really produce the harmonics that clearly on a bass.

3. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    If i had to write the actual notes they play instead of what would play if fretted them...i would have random treble clefs everywhere since there much higher that all of the fretted notes

4. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    This was supposed to be a reply to my thread "Writing Harmonics." Sorry about the screw up...

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh Daaaaave! [​IMG]

brad cook