Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Writing method?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Noobai, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Welp, had my first gig last night. Must say, I love being on stage. Kinda weird though, we were the only mellow/jam band at a HUGE PUNK festival :\ Oh well, the fans seemed to like it :)

Cant wait till the next show. But I got a few comments.

Most of these, are just personal things, but a lot of our songs sound the same, as my guitarist is still picking up on theory and keeps everything in C, G, or E Major, at the same tempo.

So, I was told to write some music. Im not much of a guitarist. Or pianist for that matter, and still an aspiring bass player.

So how to write? I cant do all the cool little thigns he can throw in on guitar (hes technically quite good). DO I just right down a chord progression for guitar, and get a bass part down for then give it to him?

What/How do you guys write songs?

Also, I need to learn to sing, any reccomendations frmo singing bass players? ;)

2. How do I compose? Usually, I either get an idea for a bass line in my bass practices, or a chord progression I find when fooling around on my guitar.

After I find the basis for a song, then I just start adding the layers as I hear them in my head (well...when I can hear them over 'the voices' anyway :eek: ) This process can take me awhile to find the sound that I hear inside, as my music tends to be atmospheric and textural, more than especially melodic. I like to create soundscapes, so therefore my compositions don't neccessarily follow set rules.

Can't help you with singing; I'm terrible and bring in singer-friends to sing on my recordings.

You're going to find the creative process differs from person to person...but IMHO you'll likely get your best ideas on a melodic instrument like guitar or keyboard...it's much easier to write a song around a chord progression than it is to write around a bassline.

I'm no help at all.
    :rolleyes:

Dan

3. If your in a jam band- come up with a bass lick that you think might turn into a cool song, introduce it to that band, 'jam' with it, and see if it goes anywhere. Isn't that what jam bands do?;)

4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I normally try to go to a jam with 3 or 4 grooves in my head to try out.. if they work well, I go home and add layers and fiddle with chord progressions as mentioned before. then we add the solos, bridges, effects, all manner of other things, bake for 20m, and hey presto, a cool tune.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    How is your knowledge of chords, Noobai? Are you able to play piano or guitar? It's gonna be helpful if you can play a little piano or guitar, and if you know something about chords.

What approach you take is up to you - different people find different ways work. You could write the chords first, or the melody. Often, you'll find it just 'happens' - a melody will come to you, or you'll stumble upon some chords you really like. From there you just need to build upon it to form a song. A good start would be to sit with a guitar or piano, and play around with some chords. See what takes for fancy - see if you can come up with any chord sequences you like. And when you play the chords, see what melodies come into your head, and sing them.

Oh, and if you wanna annoy your guitarist, write the song in Db, Bbm, Ab, or Fm or somesuch key. That'll teach him to write in E G and C all the time... :D

BTW, this wants to be in GI, not technique, really.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I agree

7. Well if you're in a punk band, a good place to start would be a song sorta like long view by greenday. Sorta funky riff that may or may not have a guitar part over it.

On the other hand being that u're a jam ban listen to a band called the jam they are late 70s punk with an awsome bass player who was the flea of punk before the mo-hawked young lad evn picked up a bass.

:bassist:

8. shon

shon

Nov 27, 2002
    Healdsburg, CA!!
    Just make things up on the spot to a beat and record them. Pick out what you like, and whala...a friggin crazy a**ed song. That's what I do. Except I don't record. I just play what comes to my head. I call this the 'mario song' because my guitar player jumps on drums and we bust out the castle theme into something funky. I could probably make a few cool songs out of it if I had a good memory :confused:. But Oh well. Youll find your groove, and funk it too.

9. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i can think of all kinds of cool basslines in my head during the day but when it comes to sitting down and fingering them out and/or writing them down, blank! :( i don't know how to move to the next level here. i'm lame.