Writing music with band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ClassikMetal71, Apr 12, 2002.

1. ClassikMetal71

Apr 6, 2002
    Our band has just started to write its own music. We don't have much of anything yet and I think that is due to the fact that we are new at it. I was just wondering if your bands has a system and what steps you take to write a song. Maybe we can try something like it in the future.
  2. To write a song....In my band "BushLeague"

1. Someone comes up with a riff, progression, or other part of a future song.

2. They work on it and figure out what the songs goals are (fast,slow, long, short..... whatever)

3. They present it to the other members of the band, Decide as a group what should be done with it. (Tossed, thumbs up, needs work, great, etc......)

4. Other members of the band come up with their parts for the song in collaboration with each other and the original writer. (sometimes we record on our digital 18 track studio to help think up parts)

5. Song structure and all necessary parts worked out and put together.

6. Song practiced and parts perfected.

7. Finished product performed, but is constantly revised as we see fit. Song ends up being a collaboration of all members ideas.

It works well...

3. For us, nine times out of ten, it starts with our rhythym guitarist coming up with a riff. Myself, the drummer and the lead guitarist write our respective parts around it. Then, either me or one of the guitarists try to come up with a seperate riff that goes with it, on the spot. One of us usually manages to come up with something. When we decide we have enough riffs, our singer goes away and comes back the next week with lyrics, which we use to help arrange the song structure, and then that's it.

Hey, that sounds simple. I seem to have left out the abuse and blows being exchanged. Ah well, I'm sure you'll fit them in somewhere ;).
  4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    here is how my band gets new songs, with only one exception:

1) a member comes in with at least one entire song planned out.

2) the member plays the individual parts for the others to hear

3) other members come up with parts

4) repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other parts of the song

5) work on the arrangement if it's flexible

6) practice it a few times one day, and a few more times the next couple days, eventually adding it to the repotoire

7) get "singer" to write lyrics, assuming that this wasn't done already

exception: i came in with a riff, and that was it. i didn't call the other members into attention or anything...i just started playing it and the better guitar player improvised a part that goes with it. upon the drummer's suggestion, we made it into a song (everything except for lyrics was completed three days ago).

before i joined two and half months ago, xerotalent had 7 songs, which were made across 6 months' time. now we have 12 (sans lyrics) with a possibility of 17!

very cool.