Writing outside "Your Genre"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm friends with a film student, and he normally has me write all of his soundtrack stuff. I'm into writing that kind of stuff, it's really fun. But he's making a 60s anti-drug film about Pot, like one of those old pot will make you eat babies and kick puppies flicks. So he wanted me to write a 60s psycadellic rock tune which is totally out of my genre... plus I've never dropped acid, so I was totally in the dark. :p

End result: Not that bad. Not that good either. I sang with a British accent, wrote annoyingly stupid lyrics (which almost all 60s psyc rock had... "I've got a bike you can ride it if you like..." you know...). I purposly produced it... old. Junky guitar, thuddy bass tone, strange sounding keyboard (w/organ effect). It kinda sounds like early Pink Floyd mixed with the Rolling Stones mixed with The Rentals mixed with King Diamond.... :eek: :p

For some reason I can't write pure/happy, it has to become somewhat evil. Very strange. I'm too metal, women fear me and men... well they fear me too. But they fear me quietly and non directly.

But, it was fun, purposely attempting something so not me and seeing what happens. I recommend it as a learning tool.