Writing Paper, need help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Feb 23, 2004.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm writing a research paper about the evolving role of the bassist in a band or orchestra, from the orchestras where double basses played cello lines, and from there, to the point where basslines started to do their own thing, to rockabilly, then getting into the electric bass, with James Jamerson, to Jaco ripping out frets and composing and playing like a lead player, to Flea and all the Flea wanna-be's out there, to Billy Sheehan's massive solos...

I may decide to cut down to the past fifty years, basically from Jamerson to Jaco to Flea and everything in between. The paper needs to be 2-3 pages long, but I need to prove something, I was thinking along the lines that cheaper labor and technology has helped the bassist's role to evolve, allowing more instrumentalists than ever to stretch boundaries of a typical role.

Any thoughts, sources, etc. that could help me out?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Perhaps you could start by reading more info on the bass players you named. No doubt you could find some bio's on them, and they would surely list their motivations to excel at their instrument.

I think a cool approach to this paper would be to list why bass players started becoming more important, and sometimes prominent, members of their bands.