writing songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by metallicarules, Jan 19, 2001.

1. I was just wondering how some of you go about writing songs with your bands. We don't have a singer yet and our lead guitarist and myself have only been playing for 4 months, yet we don't have any trouble coming up with cool riffs. Unfortunately, I have a tough time seeing how we would be able to fit singing in with these riffs. Should we come up with lyrics and a melody for the vocals then try to write our riffs around that or what?
  2. I think that probably varies from person to person. I usually tend to get the lyrics down, get a simple set of chords to go over it, then start working on the bass line and let the guitarists come up with some guitar stuff for it, but others (JasonOldsted, was it?) get the instrumental parts down first, then try to work some lyrics into it.
    You'd probably have to try a couple different tactics to see what suits you best. :)
    Or, you could always just do all instrumental songs... :D
  3. i always try to get the guitar melody first. its a pain in the butt though, cause for some reason, my melodys sound wayy too close to other songs. anyways, after i finaly get the melody, then i mess around with chords inside the scale that the melody is in. once i get down the baisic "intro" then verse, and chorus, the vocals kinda fit like the melody. i dont know if thats confusing or not.