Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

writing songs..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Jul 21, 2002.

1. im wondering..
    is there any particuler way to "write" a song? I'm talking about the lyrics, here... but i guess getting the bass lines to go with it can be awkward for me.. so advice on that too, are welcome :(
    Writing it out as it comes just doesn;t seem to work for me.. :confused:
    so i wanna try a new approach, any ideas?

And no, I don't want a lead singer :p

2. As a guy trying to work on writing songs, i'll give you a tip that helped me. Write both lyrics and song at the same time. Otherwise, you'll come up with a great song, but find it hard to place lyrics, or vice versa.

As for lyrics, try to make it your own, but dont get angsty. (I was sad...no, not glad.... everything was bad, oh yeah.)

And lastly, songs dont have to be serious. Make up something goofy. :)

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    listen to lots of music.
    be familiar with song structures.
    remember that everything doesn't have to be verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/out.

personally, i like writing lyrics well after the music has been established. it's worked for me; all i had to do was jot down a list of concepts and decide which i liked best for which song.

also, not everything has to rhyme. and hum to yourself how you'd like the melody of your words to go. that's the hardest part: making sure your words fit the rhythm of the vocal part.

4. thx guys:)

5. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    one more thing:

take our advice as just that-advice.

there is no absolute best way to write songs. there is only YOUR way.

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I think that was some good advice by joerules,you dont have to be so serious.serious gets boring after too much of it.sometimes i like a fun song you can sing along to,ya know?

yeah like bassbro said,dont use the same song structure all the time.most of the bands that dont use that structure are usually noted as the most "creative" bands.

7. well i dunno bout you guys, but my best lyrics are written when i wake up at 3am, write anything that comes to me, then read it again in the morning. heres an example:
    -------------------------------
    I AM

we all cast our shadows alone in the dark, huddled in corners

trusting nothing that is real, only what visions you recieve between each sunset and daybreak

oblivious to reason, you hold true to your values, only to be torn from your nightmares by the same person who sent you on this star-crossed journey

a broken mirror is your only connection with reality, you piece together the shards like fragmented dreams

you were forgotten long ago by the streamlined machine, tossed aside like a used cigarette, your only worth burned away

you have no control over your own hands, writing incoherant messages to your former self

my image in the mirror
    --------------------------------------
    the hardest part is deciphering the handwriting.:D

oh and a helpful hint, if you think of a line and say "that would be a good lyric" WRITE IT DOWN IMMEDIATLY. odds are you will forget it. its happened to me too many times.

and no, im not the singer. i cant sing at all. just the rockin bass player.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  9. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    I love writing songs... but I can't "make" one. It's weird. I have to be in the mood. It's a way that I "speak" when my emotions and desires wanna explode. My favorite song that I've written came while I was at washing dishes a little after midnight... I wish I could chart out the music for you to hear it...someday...

Verse:
    Oh sweet rain why don't you go away,
    not today, I don't want your pain.
    Oh sweet rain, why don't you go someplace
    other than my face.

Chorus:
    'Cause tear drops fall everyday,
    dripping down the Father's face.
    Tear drops fall everyday,
    times to mourn and times to celebrate.

Bridge:
    To understand when and why is not my place,
    to live and learn and share your love is.
    Father in Heaven,
    Help, Me, to show them, your love and your grace

10. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    [runs away from poetry corner]

:D