1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Writing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Marc Piane, May 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    When I'm not playing the bass, teaching, or composing, I do some freelance writing. Here is the story that I wrote for an online magazine. Hope you enjoy.

Outside In

Oddly and Rattman like this.
  2. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Nice. But what happened next?

Oddly likes this.
  3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    This is only Chapter 1... though in the context of an existential journey, there is only one way it can end ;-)

Rattman likes this.
  4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Very nice.

When there was a Maine Jazz Alliance there was a Maine Jazz UpBeat (a/k/a "The BiMonthly Blort"). One night my friends, the Klienhauts, had to leave a concert early and they challenged me to write up a review for the Blort. That started a run that went for years including concert reviews, historical pieces, record reviews, bio pieces about new players in town . . . heck, I ran a blindfold test one time. It was a substantial growth experience for me.

Not to say, "You know I AM so mahvelous." Rather, lots and lots of Blorts are eager for content. If you can read this post, you could try some musical writing.

Marc Piane likes this.
  5. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I read about the first half, and plan to read the rest later. I enjoyed it! I fully empathize with the lightning shooting down your right arm. I loved the line, "Solitary backpacking trips like this are always a bit of a spiritual experience for me, whatever that means." I got a nice chuckle out of it. You might note a couple small typos at "Just yesterday I had hike down the other side of this mountain" and "I began listen."

Marc Piane likes this.
  6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks for the careful read. There actually is an editor for the e-zine. I will pass this on to him. Thanks.

Groove Doctor and Lee Moses like this.
  7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago

It is no doubt a good time. It's funny, Sam. I actually started writing a music column for a previous incarnation of this e-zine called the Chicago Progressive. The guy who ran it liked my writing style, so he started giving me "assignments". I reviewed coffee. I wrote a piece about education. Closer to the election he had me write a pre and post election piece. The pieces always had a bit of a philosophical angle. When he started this new site he wanted my column to stick to that philosophy angle specifically. I'm a bit of a philosopy nerd so I thought I'd try my hand at an Exsistentialist/Absurdist/Transcendentalist fiction story. The piece I posted was originally serialized. It was recently compiled into what he called chapter 1.

Sam Sherry likes this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Subscribed, to read later when I can. I love to write too, and just published my first book (in my sig below) in January. Want to start really honing that skill and work at writing more creatively. I'm inspired by the fact that my book is selling, which came as a total surprise. I just needed to get it out of me, and got the sales as an added bonus.

Groove Doctor and Marc Piane like this.
  9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Congrats Joe!

Joe Nerve likes this.
  10. Music writing is new for me... except for gear reviews, where people enjoy my fresh perspective.

Kids naturally want to learn and it seems the education system is killing their joy. I was sharing that with one Mum last week and she said 'you should write a book about learning', which has put some wheels into motion.

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago

Have you read Sir Ken Robinson. His book, Out of Our Minds, goes into that very subject.

I actually wrote a piece about this topic for a defunct publication called The Chicago Progressive. The original was not archived (as far as I can tell). Fortunately, I saved it on my blog. Balance (or lack thereof) : May 2016

Groove Doctor likes this.
  12. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Needing to get it out of you makes the best kind of writing. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what I need to get out of me. Maybe all I have is smartass comments.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Looking forward to see where this story leads.
    You've really set the scene nicely, AND got me thinking it's been far too long since I took myself out hill-walking...

Marc Piane likes this.
  14. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago