Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

written music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I don't have much formal education so I'm not sure if I'm even asking this right. When you write a note on the staff (right word?) the top line is A (I think) so to write a high C you have to draw in an extra line above the normal lines. If I were to the write the D# that is at the 20th fret on my 1st string (tuned to G) - would I need to write in 5 "extra lines" to write this note in standard notation and 6 extras to write the highest G I have on my 24 fret bass? Or is there a different way to handle these high notes when writing in standard notation? I hope this isn't too confusing, sorry I don't have all the correct terminology. Mods please move this I posted in the wrong place. Thanks all. I'm a negative creep I'm a negative creep a negative creep and I'm stooooooned!

2. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    which string are you considering the 1st string? I assume you mean standard, EADG, if so, then yes.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you. Yes, I'm talking about a four string in standard tuning - 1st string tuned to G. One last question - what are these "extra lines" called?

4. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    Ledger lines I believe.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The first high C you are talking about is referred to as "middle C". It is directly between the bass and the treble clefs.

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I had thought that middle C was at the 3rd fret on my A string. is that an octave below middle C - and middle C is at the 5th fret of my G string? Where exactly is middle C at on my fret board?

7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    middle c, as in the center of a keyboard and as the direct center of the treble and bass cleffs, the G string, 5th fret, as far as i know.

8. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    anyitme.

i just hope i'm right :)