1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

written music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I don't have much formal education so I'm not sure if I'm even asking this right. When you write a note on the staff (right word?) the top line is A (I think) so to write a high C you have to draw in an extra line above the normal lines. If I were to the write the D# that is at the 20th fret on my 1st string (tuned to G) - would I need to write in 5 "extra lines" to write this note in standard notation and 6 extras to write the highest G I have on my 24 fret bass? Or is there a different way to handle these high notes when writing in standard notation? I hope this isn't too confusing, sorry I don't have all the correct terminology. Mods please move this I posted in the wrong place. Thanks all. I'm a negative creep I'm a negative creep a negative creep and I'm stooooooned!

2. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    which string are you considering the 1st string? I assume you mean standard, EADG, if so, then yes.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thank you. Yes, I'm talking about a four string in standard tuning - 1st string tuned to G. One last question - what are these "extra lines" called?

4. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    Ledger lines I believe.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The first high C you are talking about is referred to as "middle C". It is directly between the bass and the treble clefs.

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I had thought that middle C was at the 3rd fret on my A string. is that an octave below middle C - and middle C is at the 5th fret of my G string? Where exactly is middle C at on my fret board?

7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    middle c, as in the center of a keyboard and as the direct center of the treble and bass cleffs, the G string, 5th fret, as far as i know.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    thank you.

9. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    anyitme.

i just hope i'm right :)