Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Writting Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by krash311, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Hey, I was wonderin' if you guys could help me otu with somethin'. I'm having trouble writing music to play. I was just wonderin' what people did to help them write the music. Thanx!!!

2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Hi Krash,

Do you mean composing a song when you say writing music, or composing a bassline? When you say write music, do you mean literally as in writing out the music on sheets?

When composing songs, there are many ways of approaching it. You can start off with a melody, or with a chord progression. You can start off with a riff, or a bassline. Sometimes you can start off with just the lyrics. Sometimes you start off with a mood you are feeling, or an emotion you want to instill in others. Writing songs can be easy or hard, depending on who you are, where you are, when it is, and how you do it. There are no strict rules to it. I can go on, but XavierG mayl get upset, so I shall stop here...
    ;)

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I am a terrible composer. My guitarist is a serious genious though. Honestly I have to tell him what chords he's playing sometimes because he's self taught. Myabe that's why his music is so fresh. He's not limited to what a guitar teacher shoved down his throat. I'm self-taught too but I had many influences. I have no problem cooking up basslines to go with his stuff though. I enjoy it thoroghly and it's why I quit my other cover gig to do originals.

It appears he comes up with chord changes and messes around with the rythm. sometimes this is when the drummer and I come in. He then fits a melody in and alters some lyrics that seem to fit the mood of the song. Other times he works out the whole song acoustically and then we add to it, trying not to alter the flavor too much.

I think it is easier to use a guitar or piano than a bass to compose. The only tunes I wrote myself I did on guitar.