Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wrong direction

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Briguy, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Briguy

Briguy

Feb 14, 2005
    Ive started getting into improvising and jamming when I play, and Ive come up with some good sounding music, trouble is I sound like a heavy speed metal gutiarist when I play. What I do when Im jamming I think of something, anything....a ****ing shoe, or the crazy haircuts these Japense folks wear, and I play to it, I just put it into play and I keep coming up with guitar sounding riffs. Its helps me come up with something to play but basically Im a 4 stringed guitarist. Anyone know some instructional books or anything that can teach me the role of bass?

2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

That's the most random way to improvise I've heard of... but if it works, it works! Not sure I could 'play a shoe' in a jam...

In simple terms, the bass is to keep the groove and the rhythm of a tune. If you ever get the chance to solo, you should also still be keeping the groove and rhythm of the song in question. It's a lead guitarists job to show off and go off on a tangent, which I sometimes find quite laughable ;)

I'm not saying you can't show off, I'm just saying you still need a level head when you're doing it... I'm sure there'll be posts about it somewhere on here.

'You can't hold no goove, if you ain't got no pocket'!

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm not entirely clear on your question, but I'll give it a shot. I think you're asking how to come up with more "bass-like" sounding solos. Right?

Music is a language. Find some bass solo recordings you like and listen to them; a lot. Try to transcribe the solos to the best of your ability. Find out what the chord changes are and how the soloist played over them. Analyze it.

Ask yourself some questions:
    What makes it sound like it does?
    Why do I like the sound of this?

You will gain some valuable musical skills and get closer to your goal in the process.

Joe