'Wrong' effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassteban, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I'd like to hear from people using effects not made for/rarely used on bass.
  2. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    A bass player that I knew/recorded had an Eventide H3000 Ultraharmonizer in his effects loop. Never seen that before. A bit much in my opinion. More of a studio tool for enigeers, sounds great but kind of unwieldly for live instrument use. He did have some cool patches though.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I use a Dunlop Fuzzface, never heard of a bassist using one; but I'm sure somebody has.
  4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

OK, I'll bite....
    After going thru a period of using A LOT of fx (2 6space racks of processors, 3 drum machines, and as many as 17 pedals..) I cut back..way back..to only using a touch of reverb from a TC Electronic M-One. I had used an array of processors from Lexicon, Digitech etc and pedals like the Line 6 modelers, TC Chorus, SansAmps, Fulltone...

I found only using reverb to be a bit liberating really, as it made me focus less on the flashing LEDs and more on the music (of course I make extensive use of looping in my solo shows, but I do not really consider that an "effect"; I play the loops more like an instrument than construct them to be a static ausio event which is played to...)
    Loops are courtesy a Lexicon JamMan heavily modified by Bob Sellon, altho Irecently purchased a new Gibson EDP.

Recently, I came back into the fx fold when I discovered some really cool devices from Demeter Amplification (which started when I began using a Demeter Compulator compressor, which is hardly an "odd" efffect for a bassist). In addition to the Compulator, I now use a Fuzzulator fuzz/distortion and Tremulator Tremolo. The fuzzulator is a fantastic pedal supply rich and warm OD/Dist (with switchable germanium or LED dist. modes) which never loses its focus or clarity...and it does not compromise the tone of my basses at all (all Demeter pedals are true bypass as well). The Tremulator is a pedal many well-known gtrist use, and use it as my primary modulation source. With the depth cntrl down it provides a nice shimmer to the sound, much as a good chorus pedal might, but without it becoming clouded as chorusing can often do.The main difference her would be tremolo is an effect of amplitude modualtion, not frequency modulation or a delay-based effect such as chorus. This adds a whole new spectrum as far as how the "effect" is percieved. The modulation, or shimmer, can fall "under" a note and with the depth cntrl down can be quite beautiful and sublime. Cranking the depth can seriously make one seasick. This is an optical tremolo, like the ones found on old Fender amps, with an adjustable bias cntrl for the optical unit (this makes the device react "tighter" or "looser" depending. Again, it has true bypass, and offers no signal compromise.

Finally, not giving up reverb (which is sometimes considered odd for a bass player..), I use a Demeter RV1 Analog Spring Reverb....which is by far the lushest sounding reverb I have ever tried. Totally analog, hand made,no menus , presets or parameters; just two sounds: one short and one long reverb. Can be stereo or linked to mono, providing a room in a room kinda sound. Quite pricey for "just a reverb " you can buy a rack full of processors for what this one costs...but worth it. There are not many of these around, and most are in studios. I think I am the only bassist using using one in their regular setup.