1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wrong quality control tag on a Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Giopad65, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Giopad65

Giopad65

Feb 27, 2016
    Hi everybody, I am very new at this forum, and would like to understand if you have any suggestions for the following issue.
    I recently on line ordered a Fender (Mexico) Precision bass. When I opened the shipping box I discovered that the quality control tag which is attached to the neck head was wrong: it belongs to a Jazz bass with a (of course) different serial.
    Did you experience the same problem? Is there anything one can do?
    Is it a common issue?
    The seller couldn't di anything about.
    Thanks in advance.

2. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Don't worry about it, I had a new Adam Clayton Jazz that had a Precision tag on it. All the information on the tag was for the perspective Adam Clayton Jazz. It happens.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    1. Throw the tag away.
    2. Play the bass.

stacker, Geri O, pedroims and 15 others like this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

E-mail your serial to customerrelations@fender.com (I think) and they will provide a spec sheet for your build.

I wouldn't stress that the wrong tag is on the bass as long as everything else is up to par.

5. Giopad65

Giopad65

Feb 27, 2016
    Thanks you, I did it right this morning.
    I'll let you know what mama Fender will reply.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    They should put quality control tags on quality control tags to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

L00p, staurosjohn, wvbass and 7 others like this.
  7. Giopad65

Giopad65

Feb 27, 2016
    :) :) :) :) You bet!

DirkP and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  8. Giopad65

Giopad65

Feb 27, 2016
    Hi, I did and the reply I got was this:

Hello Giovanni,

Unfortunately we do not have these tags pre-filled out. I have some blank tags, but they wouldn't be from the factory. I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it does bother you, it might be best to exchange it.

Now i am trying a different approach and I wrote to the italian distributor of Fender guitars, because an italian guy told me he did so and got a reply and documentation for his guitar...

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    usually when i buy basses from any guitar center in-store, the tags have been thrown away - i have to admit, i never worried about it. if you have any questions about your new bass, you can always ask them here.

btw, how does your new bass feel and play?

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Did you e-mail them your serial number? They can only tell you the build specifications off that.

11. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    For whatever it's worth, I just received a Rascal from that Adorama sale someone posted over the weekend, and it too had a "quality control" tag saying "Jazz Bass". Ummm, no, not even close. Nothing wrong with the bass, but the gig bag came with a missing spring closure on one of the strap ends. Maybe they need a quality control tag on the gig bag. meh. Nice bass, though. :)

12. I bought a new G&L L2000 1993 and the serial number on my printed certificate was wrong. The seller simply wrote the correct number with a pen(!) on the certificate. I'm still alive. But feel a bit better now and relieved, after I have sold the G&L a year ago.

13. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    If they can't get a simple hang tag right, then what else did they miss?
    Just check your new bass out thoroughly.
    If it's all good, plays and sounds good, then play the heck out of it. That's why you bought it, right?
    Enjoy and congrats on your new bass. :bassist:

Oh......post some pics when you get the chance. I love pics. They're easier to read than words. :D

staurosjohn likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Terrible advice. Dead backwards in fact.

DiabolusInMusic, 40Hz and twinjet like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOL!!DigitalMan is d'man! :thumbsup:

16. Giopad65

Giopad65

Feb 27, 2016
    IMG_20160311_191852. Hi everybody and thank you for your replies!
    I know it's not the qc tag that determines how an instrument plays and sounds, nevertheless I like things to be coherent.
    I also noticed that te qc tag isn't even filled with date and serial... :)
    Anyway the instrument looks gorgeous and plays fine, as far as I am concerned.