Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wrong Speakers???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sheepdip, Sep 11, 2004.

1. sheepdip

sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    Some of you will remember the speakers I built not long ago for the two JBL 15's and the 18. I am starting to question my choice of the JBL D-140F's for the 15's. In the lower register I am getting speaker buzz which clears up as I go to a higher note. Should I be looking at different speakers???????

Also, on another note. Remember the problems I had with the sound of the 18? Well, I sent it back and low and behold, it seems that UPS dropped it on the edge and bent the frame so that the voice coil rubs. Unsalvageable. I had the speaker here 5 months in the box until I got the cabs built so naturally UPS is going to deny the claim, however I bought it from Total Audio in Kansas City and the owner said he would eat the price of another one if I would send him $75.00 for shipping and handling :crying: :crying:

BTW I finally got an amp to run the speakers, picked up a '65 Bassman AA165 circuit. replaced caps etc. NICE

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    First things first, check the box for anything loose that might be rattling in it. Also, IIRC the D140-F lacks a lot of low end ability, I believe Traynor used it in the YT-15 which has been described as nasaly for a 2x15".

3. sheepdip

sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    Come on guys!!!!!!!!! I need some input here, one won't do it. How about the Eminence Legend CB-15. I need to get rolling. I know that in a couple of days a big time Blues group is going to call me and beg me to play with them. (fat chance)

4. sheepdip

sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    I thought of that and looked at the handles and will probably tape them. there is nothing on the inside that will rattle. In retrospect the D-140F's are O.K. for guitar but not the best for Bass. I think I will put them on e-Bay and use the money toward some other speakers. Darn! learning curves are a bitch.

5. D140F's not good for bass??? Hardly the case. They're legendary.

More likely, an issue with the cab. Or else the speakers were damaged.

6. sheepdip

sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    No cab problem, it's so tight you couldn't drive a pin in a joint with a sledge hammer. Built to JBL specs.

I don't think the speakers are at fault at least I can't see anything looking REAL close and I doubt the voice coils are at fault or they would sound buzzy at all frequencies. I should disconnect one at a time and see if I can isolate the sound.

7. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=294-470

Those are some good speakers, I've got them in a brandless cab, I call it "The Sleeper" because it really does look like a piece of crap, the sound is amazing though.

8. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    also, check with Dave at Avatarspeakers.com. I recently got a nice quote on Eminence Kapa LF 15s (600w).

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Typical symptom of 'Shipped Speaker Syndrome.'
    Voice Coil has shifted during transit.
    I've had many brand new speaker's delivered to my door
    by UPS that where mishandled resulting in voice coil rub.