Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wrong string damage?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Xavier, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    I bought some Ghs Bass Boomers for my Fender Jazz and didn't realize they were long scale plus which it says are for 34-36 scale basses. I just put the e string on and some of the non threaded part of the string is around the tuning peg. I'm just curious, will this damage anything? It seems to be a little tight but okay.

2. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Don't worry about it. It shouldn't cause any damage. Many brands of strings don't come with the nylon wrap on them.

3. Xavier

Xavier

Jan 3, 2000
    CA
    I am still having probs with the e string and I even tried some DR lo riders same thing. Let me clarify it better.. the actual playing part of the string is around the peg on the e string. I actually had to bend it a little to stay straight while winding the string. The original Fender bass strings did not have this problem???

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But what is the problem? How does it affect the tone or playability? I don't think what you describe should be a problem. The opposite would be - that is, if some of the coloured wrap or binding was going through the nut and extending over the fingerboard - this is what you want to avoid. Obviously it's best to get the right length, but all basses are slightly different and strings are standard lengths, so you won't always get a perfect match.