Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT 300/2 115s=more punch needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I put together a second rig to practice with a second band, and it looks like it’s going to work out and I’ll be playing in 2 bands. The problem is I’m having trouble hearing myself at low to medium volume practice sessions. Although the band has 2 guitarists, they’re not particularly loud, and the music is mainly 60’s & 70’s classic rock (Beatles, Stones, Creedence, etc.) If I walk out about 20-30 feet from my rig, I hear it just fine, but from 15 feet on I have to really crank it to hear myself clearly which I don’t want to do.

I’ve tried tweaking the knobs on the Eden to get better cut with little results. My rig is: Nordstrand SC5>X-wire>Bassbone>Fodera 2000>Boss TU2>Sansamp BDDI>Visual Volume>Furman Power Conditioner>Eden WT 300>Hartke Transporter 115>Avatar B115. The band is tuned to 430.

My Eden worked well with an SWR Goliath III 410 & Eden 115 XLT (now pushed by a Mesa Boogie 400+ :D )

My question is, to get more punch from my second rig, should I go with an Avatar 210, 212, or 410? I do like the Avatar B115, so I would like another Avatar to have a matching set. I don’t need extreme volume, just the ability to hear myself better; I will be playing through a nice P.A.

2. If you're looking for more punch and not extreme volume the 2x10 would be what you want.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Needing some 10's to cut through it sounds like to me.

4. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I kind of figured 10s would work, but there are a few 212s on the market, and I have no experience with 12" speakers (other than being on the wrong end of Marshall 1/2 stacks).

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    12's will tighen it up but ten's will cut.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Most 15's and 18's really need a lot of room/space to open up, so having them sound better at 20-30 feet away is not unheard of. Adding tens will certainly speed things up and get the tone closer to you while a 15 will also keep things going further out for hte rest of the band to enjoy. Twelves are generally stated to be a compromise btw. 10's and 15's on almost all levels. I'd add 10's to a 15 or a 212. I personally wouldn't add a 212 with a 115... Too much mud, not enough definition but that's just me and my taste. ;)

7. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Thanks for the input gang. I have an Eden 210XLT inbound which I will match with the Eden 115XLT and the WT 300. I'll take the Avatar 115 and match it with the Goliath III/Mesa 400+. Since the Avatar is less efficient, the 400+ should get more out of it.