Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT-400 EQ Clip Light After Power Off?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cjgallen, Jun 2, 2003.

1. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    You may remember my post a while back about some possible leaking capacitors in my Eden WT-400. Well, I'm paranoid, so I replaced them, and while I was in there, I cleaned up a few cold solder joints and changed the tube.

Now, BEFORE I did any of this, the EQ Clip light would turn on and stay on for a few seconds after I had turned the power OFF. Was this normal? The manual says it should never be on, but why would it come on after I turn it OFF????

Today, AFTER I replaced everything, the EQ Clip light no longer comes on when I power off. Other than that, the amp functions exactly like it did before.

Can anyone explain this? It's making me more paranoid than before :ninja:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's normal. Both my WT-300 and WT-800 have always done this. It's probably either some caps discharging or the field in some inductor (transformer) slowly collapsing. One of the resident gurus is sure to know. Now that yours doesn't do it, I'd worry.

3. My WT-500 (built in 1994) does not light up the EQ Clip light when it is turned off. However, what your amp does after you turn it off shouldn't be a big concern. The voltages are returning back to zero and I wouldn't be surprised that the EQ Clip circuit gets fooled by this. I would say that the EQ Clip light is only representative of a problem if it lights when the amp is on.

Several years ago I added four 10,000 uF computer grade capacitors to my WT-500. The extra 40,000 uF of capacitance made a noticeable difference on loud transients. Before, with the only the stock capacitors, the amp LEDs would dim on loud transients when run in bridge mode, but with the extra caps it seems to have more energy in reserve. On side-effect of the extra capacitance is that the D.C. LED takes a looong time to go off when the amp is powered down.

By the way, what capacitors did you replace? In the power supply section? Preamp board? Power Amp? Was there any sign of leakage?

--

kevin

http://www.sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca/~ab752
    (my own home page.... imagine that!)

4. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I'm pretty sure they were in the power supply section. They were 4x 4700uF caps and I replaced them with the same with identical temperature and tolerance levels.

The old capacitors were growing fuzz on the top and the Eden tech said I should replace them just in case.

I ran it with the top off and there was no smoke or any odd smells. I only played at low volumes though. I'll try cranking it later today.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You're a cruel man.

6. Fuzzy capacitors?

Wow!

7. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    WOOHOO, after some spirited playing, I turned it off, AND THE LIGHT CAME ON! You have no idea how relieved I am, hehe :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whew!