WT-400 + Mesa Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexander, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've been shopping around for a portable, yet great sounding and (somewhat) powerful stack. I really like the idea of taking a WT-400 head and pairing it with two Mesa Powerhouse cabs (a 2x10 and 1x15), as it seems like that would fit the bill. I really like the Eden sound and features of the WT-400 and like the portability/construction of the Mesa cabs. Do you guys see any issues with doing this?

I've usually thought in terms of matching the head and cabs (ie. Eden Head w/ Eden cabs) for sound quality but like the features of what I described. Let me know. Thanks.
  2. I love the powerhouse 115 In my opinion it is a better single cab than their 410.

I would have to say that I like the boogie amps a lot better. I'd have bought an mpulse 600 but then I found my H&K for about 1/2 as much $$$
  3. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I don't know much about the Mesa cabs, but the Eden's a great small amp. Have you looked at the Aguilar GS112? Two of those are very small and portable, they sound great, and put out pretty good volume.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As much as I like the WT400 (and I do, I do--I use one regularly and have for several years), I feel it doesn't sound its best with Mesa cabs. I use the WT400 with Eden cabs: D210XLT, D115XL or D215XLT either singly or I combine the 15 and 210. I drive my Mesa cabs (Road Ready 210, 215, 410 and 118) with a Mesa 400+. The voicing of the Eden cabs seem perfect for the warm, low-mid emphasis of the WT400 whereas the Mesa cabs seem to come alive better with the tube muscle of the 400+. I also don't like the WT400 at all when driving an SWR Triad.
  5. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    boogiebass, have you tried the mesa 400+ with Eden cabs? In particular the 15's?
  6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You might also consider the Mesa WalkAbout-
    This is equivalent to the WT-400, w (2) 12AX7's
    in the pre-amp, and a sweet eq- Lots of headroom & volume, nice round Mesa tone-
    I used one w/ a Hartke 2.5XL- I bet it sounds nice with the Powerhouse (or the Edens, or the Aguilars)
    or check out Demeter cabs if you can-very Fine.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, very good.