Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wt 400 or ebs hd350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jun 18, 2002.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've narrowed it down to these two.
    Eden wt400 or ebs hd350. which is more
    versatile? (jazz r&b funk) Which has more
    bang for the buck. There are both great, it's
    hard to pick one. HELP!!!

2. I'm pretty qualified to answer this; I had a WT300 and now I have a Fafner.

I would go with the HD350, because for all the power of the 3-band semi-parametric EQ, the basic Eden tone is just too warm/fat for my tastes. It's always easier to EQ out brightness than to add it back in. The clarity difference between my WT300 and my Fafner has been like night and day. I'd also add that, owing to differing standards between the US and the EU in measuring wattage, the HD350 is going to be a whole lot louder than the WT400.

Don't get me wrong, you'd be getting an excellent head with the WT400, but you'd be doing even better with the HD350.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll agree with Peter on this one. I myself own the WT-400's little brother the WT-300, and find that's it's REALLY warm and fat. Which can be a good thing, but sometimes it can sound like a pillow over your bass. Not that the head is bad at all. I love the Eden sound to death, but again, Peter's got a point in that you can EQ out brightness better than you can EQ it in.

I'd listen to both before I made the judgement.

Though I myself am thinking I might sell the WT-300 and go with the HD350. Speaking of which, what's the going rate (new/used) on those puppies!?

4. I was offered a dead-mint HD350 for $750, which is what I paid for my Fafner. I think they go for just under a grand new.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn...shoot, get what, 450-500 outta the WT-300, and I'm working, so that'd be a couple weeks difference...hmn...spicey! Although I think that might shoot the new "work all summer, get a nice bass in the fall" plan...though, that Modulus 6 is sooo nice...:(

Course, I'm still looking into that Yamaha PB-1 as a backup, I HATE not having an amp...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd get the HD350.

the WT400 is too woolly and warm for proper slap stuff. find myself pumpin' the trebles to 9 o'clock for anything biting.

but if you just want a thick fingerstyle tone that's complex and warm, the WT400 does it in spades. great low mid churny voice. if you're looking for something with more spank, then the HD350 is for you.

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    This is good information. Just what I was
    hoping for. Also... Is the filter bypass button
    on the hd350, used for bypassing the preamp?
    If so, this would work very well with my acoustic bass, with its own eq. Or what is the filter bypass?

8. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    filter bypass only bypasses the EQ section.
    Character button will still be heard.
    I used to use my "preshape" ALWAYS when I used Trace Elliot stuff, but it's different with the EBS you can use or not use the Character depending on the bass, it will give you a different shadings on the tone section. on the Trace I'd only consider no Preshape if it was a fretless.
    I also believe tht the character button is heard out the DI in either pre or post EQ settings there.

Get an EBS if you slap at all, you'll dig it.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    but the EBS can get a nice, warm sound, too, if dialed in properly?

i really like the parametric (?) mid control. didn't really try out the "drive" control.

i'm considering the hd-350, as well...

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IMO, it can only get as warm as you want it to...in other words, very warm! But, the thing is, ultimately, only your ears can decide. Almost everybody who's tried it out 'round here swears that EBS makes awesome stuff, and this includes people who swear by Aguilar, Demeter, Kern, EA, Eden, and so forth.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you want woolly and warm like a fleece jacket in the dead of winter, the Eden's your amp. the EBS seems more like a slap/punch machine. soo sweet and articulate.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Joker...you're not making me very happy...:(

Does anyone know how the EBS preamps stack up to the HD350? I ask because I'm not sure if I could run the EBS HD like I run my Eden, which I kill the master volume, plug in the XLR DI, and use the gain knob for volume and then the rest of the pre-amp as normal...or could the HD run like that? If so, then I could have a practice amp for at home AND a killer pre-amp for use with the Rig of Doom...

hey guys, Eden for sale ;)

(well, not yet anyway...)

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ive played the EBS and the own a WT-400 and I prefer the Wt-400. The Ebs took alot of tweaking till I got what I wanted. The Eden was just a plug in and play and adjust the bass , and treble a little via the magic contour knob and that's it.

I wanted simplicity. I didnt want to have to tweak knobs.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh shoot! :eek:

my bad. maybe my playin' makes me EQ that EBS that way, but with all those EQ options on the EBS, i dont see how you couldnt make the EBS sound similar to the Eden.

15. I had that problem with the Eden: with my bass, I needed to do tons of tweaking to clean up the mud. The built-in non-defeatable compressor of the WT-300 didn't help things. Of course, if I were playing a Fender-style bass, I think things would have been a lot different.

I've found that setting the Fafner dead flat, with drive and brightness on 0, makes for an excellent sound. I happen to have brightness on 5 and drive on 3 for extra grind and sparkle.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've found exactly the same setup works for me, with minor exceptions. I keep my mids boosted in the 350Hz range by just a hair, my bass boosted by a hair, and my treble cut by a hair. I use a touch of brightness and drive. But, really, if you look at the knobs, you'd see that they're pretty close to flat.

I was never a fan of the Eden stuff. Obviously, different strokes...;)

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, EBS nuts...what's the difference between the EBS-1, -1 Classic and the -1 V2?

They seem like the same thing?

18. Sounds like most people here praise the EBS. I tried the HD350 through an EBS 4X10 cab, and for some reason, was simply not impressed. I would definitely describe it as a slapper's rig. Since I don't slap, it just didn't sound good to me. Too bright when everything is set flat, and I tried to warm it up, but I never got the sound I was looking for. But, that's just my opinion, of course.

On the positive side, it looks like it's very well constructed and had some nice features that many other heads within that price range don't.

If I were you, I'd go with the Eden, but as many others have mentioned before, you should definitely play both.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've never played through the 350 but I've owned a WT400 for several years. It's an excellent small club amp, very plug 'n play. Set flat and with a good active bass, you can get a very musical, usable sound, especially driving Eden cabs, where it seems to sound its best. I love the amp with a D215XLT or D210XLT. It's also quite good with both a D210XLT and a D115XL. I slap very little, however, as I'm a fingerstyle player pretty much all the way. I slap about as often as I use a pick, which is seldom.

20. I cannot reiterate enough the importance of your bass and your playing style in choosing an amp that's appropriate for your needs. I agree that the EBS would probably sound very thin with a J-style bass or a Music Man with all controls dimed, and that the Eden would get an excellent, full-bodied finger and slap tone in such a scenario. With my beefy FBB, the Eden sound is simply too warm for my needs.