WT-400 + Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classic5, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Just curious whether any of you Eden users have tried to hook your head up to a separate power amp for more power? Can it be done and how does it sound? Effectively just using the preamp section of the head.

I tried this with my GK400RB, into a Stewart 1.2 but it didn't soud anywhere near as ballsy as it did with a Trace Elliot pre and the Stewart. I also had to do some radical EQing on the GK to get a hallf decent sound.

I'm asking this question to see if I could get away with just having one head (say an Eden WT-400)for small and large gigs, just adding the separate power amp when needed.

Hope someone out there can help.
  2. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have reason to believe that Brendan uses this set up. He runs the WT-300 as the pre-amp and puts it into a carvin power amp then into 2 Eden 410XLT's.
  3. zoran

May 10, 2002
    for me it s unecessary to carry two power amps on stage , it is better to buy separate preamp and put in rack with stewart.
  4. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Yes - I have used a WT-300 connected to a Stewart World 1.2 power amp. It sounded GREAT. Imagine an Eden WT with 1200 watts.

Use the Headphone Out jack from the WT to connect to the power amp. Tone and volume can be controlled from the WT.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use a WT-300 into a Carvin DCM1000. It retains all of the Eden sound without any coloration issues. I find that it accurately replicates the Eden sound at high volumes.

I personally use the Direct Out (XLR) with the D.I Level maxed. This, BTW is MUCH MUCH louder than the Effects Send technique.

And Pick is right, it is into two D-410XLTs, though as of Saturday, It'll be a 410XLT and a 210XST. But who's counting.
  6. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    You don't want to use the Effects Send jack.

To quote the WT manual: "The effects loop is positioned post (behind) the compressor and enhance control and prior to the tone section."

The WT's eq section is not involved if you plug into the Effects Send jack. That's why you want to use either the Headphone Out or the D.I. as Brendan does.
  7. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks alot guys, that answers everything I wanted to know. I guess using the headphone out also leaves the D.I. for use with the front of house PA. :p