Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT-500/Acme farting/hissing problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Neobass, Aug 13, 2000.

1. Neobass

Neobass

Aug 12, 2000
    Hey all, I've been lurking for a couple months now, here goes my first post..Right now I'm playing a Reverend 5 through an Eden WT-500 bridged/mono into an 8 ohm Acme 2x10. Although I've had the Eden/Acme setup for a while, I'm only now starting to play through it...I just picked up the Reverend after not having a bass for 2 months (absolute hell), and it seems as if somethings going wrong here (The Reverend's awsome, BTW). First: With the Gain set at about 7, the master volume at about 6, and the pre-amp volume at 5, I'm getting some major hiss out of this setup. I've read in places that the WT-500 has hiss problems, but this is some pretty loud hiss. Struggling for a way to describe the magnitude of the hiss over the internet, I'll say it's about the volume you would normally listen to your TV at..does this sound normal?

Second problem: With the same settings as above (and EQ set flat, BTW), this setup gives off an incredibly disgusting/loud farting noise when I drop below the A string. Even with a light touch, anything on the B results in the said farting noise and the "Output Limit A" light going on. And forget about slapping/popping (about 30% of my playing) at anywhere close to this volume. Is this normal? I'm really dissapointed, to say the least, as this is about the volume I would be using in live settings. If anyone could offer any advice at all, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks,
    Ryan

2. My WT-500 hisses a little bit but not noticeably at high volume.

However, I run my head through a Euphonic Audio 2x10 and when I roll up the active bass on my guitar (Sadowsky preamp), I pin the output lights. Hence I need more headroom and may go for a more powerful head (?WT-800, back to the EBS Fafner w/ EBS cab?) or be forced to get a rack set up w/ amp and preamp.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Neobass,
    your signature is disgusting.
    Matthias

4. Neobass

Neobass

Aug 12, 2000
    Hmmm, I would normally assume a comment like yours to be jovial/cute, etc..but I take it by your Mean face, that you're geniuenly offended by the quote. Perhaps you're reading it out of context...It's from someone's review of an Acme 2x10, commenting on how clear and loud the B string comes through with this particular cabinet. I certainly don't wish to offend anyone, but I have a hard time believing that you're serious. Please tell me otherwise? I've had that signature on Usenet for about 3 months now, w/o any negative comments.

Back to my problem with the amp, I forgot to mention (as someone has pointed out to me via e-mail), it's a 1994 model, and hasn't seen a tube replacment/service yet, so I'm thinking there could be part of the problem? Any thoughts?

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I am absolutely serious and I am offended.
    I can not understand how it can be 'cool' to be able to cripple little children, no matter in wich context.
    There are enough really bad things happening to children, so this is in IMHO not a topic for jokes.

I don't have any children (yet), but I think many of the people posting here do have and I can't imagine that they consider this statement cool or funny or whatever.

Just think it over what you are actually saying with a statement like this and what people may think of you...
    If this should be part of a kind of 'really bad boy' image of yours I'm sorry with you.

I don't want to offend you - I don't even know you - I just want you to think.

Matthias

BTW I don't want to start a discussion here as this would be very off-topic, but there are things that have to be said.

6. I read the signature. I also read it to my sons (ages 6 and 9) to inspire good behavior...or else I'll buy an Acme cab! ;)

Seriously, I have kids and take no offense to the signature. I found the signature humorous.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've got a WT 500 and I don't have a hiss problem but I can identify with the farting tone.I use mine with an Eden 410 and if I put the Gain at 7 and the Master at 6 -even with the EQ flat - I would hear some farting too. I'm surprised you need to put the Master at 6 though. I gig in small to large venues and I almost always set mine at Gain 7 - Master 3 and EQ almost flat with minor EQ adjustment for the room.I also use the basses tone and volume control a lot.When I play in the largest venues and I want to rumble I give a low frequency a slight boost ( not a general bass control boost)and its instant rumble with no farting at all.That's one of the neat things about the WT-500 - the EQ is super sensitive.
    Although mine's a 410 cabinet I can't imagine that you can't dial out any farting on your 210.
    As an aside, I don't doubt for a second that your crippled children handle is not serious and is intended as a light hearted metaphor. But I do agree with Matthias that it is tacky and in poor taste.

8. The Eden 410 is FAR, FAR more efficient than the Acme.

I suspect the Acme is eating up every bit of the power from that WT-500. One thing I'd try though would be to disable the Eden's compressor. Eden's internal compressor sucks, and is known to cause farting problems when the amp is driven hard, and being the owner of 2 B2s driven by a 700 watt / channel QSC PLX-2402, I'll bet that WT-500 is working REAL hard to drive one.

Try disabling the compression.

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Regarding your farting problem:

the 'output limit light' says it all:
    You've got not enough power, the amp is clipping.
    For what I've read in this forum, the Acme cabs need tons of power. The head should be rated at double the wattage of the cab or even more - that's what people say. In your case: 700W minimum!

To avoid farting, you have to respect the limit of your amp.
    (And it is very common, that you can not use the full range of your master knob.)
    And if you roll off bass a little, you can achieve more volume with the same power, but with a 'thinner' sound of cause.

Matthias

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    michaeln - excellent point!

11. Neobass

Neobass

Aug 12, 2000
    That's what I suspected was happening. Andy (of ACME Cabinets) reccomends the WT-400 for his 2x10s, but I've heard of people blasting 1,200 Watts through ONE Acme 2x10, and STILL clipping the amp. Anyways, I had some succes disabling the compressor and getting a cleaner tone, even while slapping. A little quieter, and without the compressor, I've virtualy eliminated any farting noise, but the Output Limit light still goes on pretty regularly, especially when slapping. Is this going to damage the amp/speakers at all? Eventually, I guess I'll be upgrading to a much bigger power amp, and perhaps run 2 Acmes out of it, but for at least a few more months, this is my setup. Thanks for everyones replies.

As a side note, I changed my signature to something a little less controversial. Geez, I never thought I'd be quoting Frank Zappa in hopes of being LESS controversial!
    ;-}

12. Andy changes his story frequently. I note that on the new website he's having built at:

http://www.spiderplant.net/acme/

..he says: "High power handling. 350W RMS is a good starting point due to the relatively low efficiency of the cabinet. 500W RMS is ideal. The more power, the better the sound. (Within reason - It's only a 2x10"!)"

I would think not. The limiter comes on to PREVENT clipping, and it reduces power when it comes on. If it was a CLIP light instead of a limiter activation light I'd worry.

You might ask Andy though.