Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT 550 as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjamn, Aug 9, 2004.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Hey All,

I may have to upgrade to a pre-poweramp setup soon. Is it possible to use a WT550 as a pre-amp and use something like a a QSC , Crest , Stewart or Crown as a poweramp via the line in?

Or would i have to buy a preamp in addition. I've used single Power/pre heads for so long have not switched to the multi unit setup yet....

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I had a similar problem about a year ago.

I have a WT400, and needed more power. For the last year, I have been running the WT400 as a preamp, driving a Stewart World 2.1 poweramp out of the headphone jack. This was based on the WT400 manual's recommendation.

I have had no problems with this set up. It sounds great (if you like the eden's sound, and have a transparent power amp, good cab, etc.).
    Check the WT550's manual and make sure, but I believe it can be run the same way.

I am waiting on a Read Purity Pre that should be here next week, so my head can get a little smaller and lighter, and I can go back to using the WT400 head as part of a smaller super portable rig, and as a backup.

3. Sure. You can do that. I bet it would sound very good too. I would recommend connecting the stereo post effects output to each channel of your power amp of choice. Run the power amp in parallell mode and use both of your cabs.

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Ah i did check the eden website, and my manual. It does say the same thing you mentioned thewanderer24.

That is so cool, and will save me quite a few $$ !!
    Have you ever powered some cabs thru the WT400 and some through your stewart 2.1? I would imagine there would be a big volume difference....

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    When I owned Eden gear, I found the preamps to be the best thing about them. So yeah, I think your plan is a good idea. Best of luck! :)

6. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Now this leads to a 2nd question :cool:

Which would you pick in regards to price/reliability for a 1k poweramp
    QSC, Crest , Stewart or Crown mayhaps?

the Crown CE1000 looks pretty good, hmm ebay deals here i come

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as far as light weight good poweramps i would stick with stewart and the qsc plx series
    i dont think crest makes any light poweramps and crown's lighter weight and cheaper power amps tend not to be that great
    the crown macrotachs are wonderful, but are stupid heavy and expensive

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I used the DI out on my WT-300 for a few years, and it was fine. A bit heavier than nessicary, since you've got a 13lb preamp, but hey, whatever works.

9. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I never tried running one cab with the eden and another with the Stewart (using the Eden as a Pre). I never really had cause. I am running a Bergantino HT322, and it absolutely smokes by itself in almost any setting, so I haven't really been motivated to try a second cabinet with it. As of next week, the Eden will be used mostly for lower volume with my HT112, though I might eventually trade up for something even lighter, more powerful, and more transparent...

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey. A 13-pound pre-amp into a PLX 3402 at 21 pounds, you've got a 3700-watt rig at 34 pounds. Try doing that with tubes.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Toobes? What are these Tooobes?

Munji...I'm not sure how to break this to you, but I switched. I'm using an Ampeg preamp now, and the other cab is a Mesa. I still have an Eden cab though, a 210T.

Is my Eden club card revoked?

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, nothing personal, Brendan. Just an observation for anyone who might think that tubes rule. Although I must confess that I listened to a band outdoors the other day, and the bassist was playing a Jazz bass through an Aguilar DB 359. Boy, did it sound good.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the Ampeg is an SVP-Pro. It's got 5 tubes in it. 4 12AX7s and a 12AU7, so I'm still rocking the tubes. Harder, in fact, than with the Eden, which is a single 12AX7, is it not?

14. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Say i aquired a QSC RMX 1850HD Power Amp
    Each channel
    # Delivers 360W per channel into 8 ohms
    # 600W into 4 ohms

I have two cabs i am planning to power, the only problem is one would be a 4 ohm cab, another would be a 8 ohm cab.
    This would work since the power amp has 2 channels, and each channel does not go over the 4 ohm minimum at least 4 ohms i believe ?

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    This is very true. The Eden doesn't have a strong tube vibe to it. I'd like to audition an Aggie 750 just for kicks.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My personal preferences would be Stewart or Crown. I haven't tried the Crest amps but Jim Bergantino recommends the CA9--I'm just scared of its weight. Wouldn't do my bad back any good! ;) I own a Crown CE2000 and it's been a very solid performer but again, not light at all. I also own a Stewart 2.1 and it's quite light and has dual mono with separate power supplies. I've owned several QSC's and don't like them for a variety of reasons. So I guess I'd recommend a Stewart. Hope that helps.

17. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I've been using a stewart 2.1 for a year now, at times driving it pretty hard for hours on end. It never even gets warm. Never had a problem with it, it's very lightweight, and to my ears very transparent soundwise.