Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT-550 - I'm gonna do it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 30, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I have the bucks, so I think I'm going to order a WT-550 in the next day or two. I haven't been able to find an iAMP to demo, so I think I'll pay my money and take my chance on the Eden. I can put it up against a Mesa Walkabout that's in a local store once it's here.

I sure hope I like the tone with my pair of ag End S15-Ds. If not, it's returnable - and I'll only be out the shipping.

Eeek!

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Congrats HD! Sounds sweet

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks! How'ya liking that WT-400? Any regrets?

I'm a bit nervous about this...

4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    :eek: GET THE iAmp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think it'd be too clean for my tastes. I've looked all over for one to demo with a reasonable drive, with no luck!

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've owned a couple of WT-400's and the iAmp is a FAR better amp. It can be clean, it can be warm, it can be PHAT!! By far the most versatile EQ I've ever experienced in any amp. I've never been in a room where the iAmp didn't sound good. I can't say that about the Eden. Get emjazz's iAmp 800 for $1000 inc. shipping "New in Box"(see the classified board). You won't be sorry!:D

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Cool, I'm gonna be getting the WT-550 as soon as I can save up about $100 more.

Can I borrow $100? ;)

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Gulp... I did it. I have a good working relationship with Evan at BNW, and he has two that are expected next week and only one was presold. I got the other.

Should have it in a week or two. I suppose this means I need to start practicing more, eh?

I hope this idea (high power micro head) works out - I've been having back issues, and lugging even my ministack has been a problem. The XRack isn't the issue (it's only about 20 pounds) - it's the Carvin in its separate rackbag. Ooof!

It's hell getting old and decrepit - I really would have taken better care of myself when I was younger if I knew I'd make 40.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...score one for Evan & BNW...

...however, I know someone that has 2 in stock and ready to rock!

;)

(And by the way, I've A/B'd it with the iAmp heads, and as Josh said, neither is better, just different...can't give my personal opinion here, but check my profile for a good guess as to which I like better...)

10. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Gard, what the heck do you know? You act like you hang around bass amps all the time. What gives? As for me, you KNOW I hate music and everything that goes with it...Really man...I swear, one of these days... :eek: :D

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Good choice! I am using a WT500 with 2 Bag End 15's, and I have never been happier. Eden heads sound just awesome with Bag End cabinets.

12. oooh, goody, another bag end user testing out this combo so i don't have to. :D let me know how you like it. i enjoy my peavey head but it is HEH-VEE, so i'll probably upgrade in a few years.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yeah, I got everyone fooled into thinking I sell the stuff...shhhh...you're gonna blow my cover! :p

:D

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a traitorous act! BC is the store of choice here at TalkBass. Gard, give him 60 lashes with the legendary wet noodle.

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Nawww....I'm sure that Evan and the BNW guys did right by HD. No wet noodles...

;)

...his punishment is having to wait! :D

(..we wouldn't know anything about that, eh Munji? :eek: )

16. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I think you're like it. In the past two weeks since I got the WT550, I've been alternating it with the EA CXL112 and the BagEnd S15D and they complement each other. The EA sounds great for jazz with alot of definition while the BagEnd is perfect for Rock and loud bottom. When I first got it I was a little disappointed having used SWR stuff for years, but I gotta tell you it's grown on me and now I'm pretty happy especially being able to throw it over my shoulder with my bass.

HeavyDuty: I did get the new S15D jackplate the other day and installed it, but haven't been able to get the speakon connectors working. The 1/4" does work. The plate and wiring looks like I need to switch the connections. Any ideas?

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mike, the new jackplate is supposed to allow you to select the Speakon pair to use (Either +/-1 or +/-2). Bag End's standard is the 1 pair for ELF and the 2 pair for everything else. Maybe the plate was preconfigured for the +/-2 pair? I'd look for internal jumpers on the back of the plate.

The older Speakon jackplate like I have in my one cab was fixed to +/-2 by how it was made (Speakon soldered to a board) - that's why I want to retrofit both of my cabs to allow the more common +/-1 standard. I've been stalling, but need to get on with it now with the Eden coming. At least Bag End is close enough to hit after work!

18. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    It's wired to the -2/+2 terminals but the wire has a connector that can easily moved to the -1/+1 terminals. Should I move them over. I was worried I might blow my beloved WT550. I sent an email to 911@bagend.com today but let me know if you think I should move them.

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would move them, but don't blame me if fire belches from your cab afterwards!

:D

Seriously, there should be no problem - that's what the new design allows you to do. If it makes you feel safer, wait for Bag End and just use the 1/4" for now.

I really leaned on them to do this upgrade when I bought my first cab a few years ago. Then, I had to wait a year until the announced change made it into production. I suppose I should go get mine, huh?

20. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Your sure reassuring. I thought all speakons were wired the same? I'm not in a rush so hopeful I'll get a response on monday and make the change. When you get your WT550 maybe you give a longer review? Also, I did compare it to the walkabout and there is no comparison regarding power and the eden is quiter since the fan only triggers after pushing it. The mesa doesn't have any compressor and I don't think it has a limiter and the eden is not much more when discounted.