Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT 550's input jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Sometimes when I plug into my WT 550, I can't get any kind of a sound out of it but if I unplug my chord and reverse it or just get another chord, it works. Is there a cheap simple way to fix this? I checked the chords and there is nothing wrong with them.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Maybe there is some corrosion on the input jack. By pulling it out, you might be scraping it just enough for it to make contact.

You might try using a pencil and wrap a rag around it and spray some contact cleaner on it and swab it in and out a few times. [I mean "electrical contact" cleaner...not contacts for your eyes].

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks Sundogue..I'll try that.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    It could be the cable and not the amp. Maybe the cable is just a little short for the input jack? Is this a cable that works in other amps? I have a cable that works in everything except a 1/4" to XLR converter. I still use the cable as my main cable, I just don't use that converter very often.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

5. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    some of the better brand cables only work one way.We had this prob. once with some planet wave gold tip cables,wouldn't work so took them back to shop and they said did you plug them in the other way Duh? the end to go to amp was marked on the cable end.:rollno:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah ... think I'll get me a dozen of those.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Chris, this has happened with all of my cables so I'm going to try to clean out the input jack. It's only for a short period of time that the amp doesn't work but I do worry that one nite, it won't work at all.

8. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Get some Electrolube, (electrical contact cleaner), spray that in the input socket and the pull the jack in an out a dozen or so times, that should do it.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    +1.

And don't worry about spraying it in there...contact cleaner evaporates very quickly.

The only reason I suggested using a cloth at all was if it was really bad and it needed to be "scrubbed" a bit. Most of the time, just some contact cleaner sprayed in there should be sufficient.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks! I'll get some Electrolube and clean it out.