Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT-800 - early models are worse?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurisu, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I've read somewhere here that older WT-800's had problems with noise, a different (and worse) compressor, and that newer models don't have these problems.

I'm going to use the DI for alot of recording, so I want to have as clean a signal as possible.

If I'm thinking about getting a used WT-800, at least what year should it be? Would a 98 be too early? And if it does end up being noisy, do I have a way of fixing it?

2. ZonMaster

ZonMaster

Jun 18, 2004
    maybe Kansas
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/upgrades.htm

You can upgrade about any amp. Just guessing from this page '03 and newer are most recent. To upgrade components and features looks kinda steep. I'm sure marketing took this into consideration. You can get an 800 for a steal and be happy. But rather than upgrade you may be better off starting new.

3. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Wow... So, $300 + shipping (both ways) + factory service @ $55 an hour...

You could buy a whole new amp for that.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    fwiw, i have a 1997 wt-400 and it's always been great for recording - no noise

5. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Please take no offense to this but ... it's crap. Maybe a markerting ploy, I don't know. I have a WT800 for sale and heard this, so I ab'd mine (12/09/98) with a 2003 model, and didn't hear any difference. In fact, mine sounded a tad warmer, for some reason. I have to sell mine because I hurt my back and have to get a combo, otherwise I wouldn't.
    I'm pretty sure there have been quite a few nice recordings and performances through pre-2003 WT800's. After comparing them with my own ears, I do not believe any of this to be true. But, that is my opinion.

____Randy

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I like mine a lot but only 2 beefs. I do not like to compressor and don't use it, I am looking into getting a external one. Second I do not feel the DI out does the tone justice, some of the sound techs I have spoken with say it's not very good and like Ampeg DI's better. You will love the tone and the parametric EQ works wonders! But to compressor and DI lack in my opinion. Also I really like to option of running 2 cabs stereo or in Bi amped mode with built in crossover...I say the pro's outwieght the cons. A fishman DI box and a decent DBX compressor I will in in business.