Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wt-800 or sm-900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassicrunner, Oct 30, 2002.

1. bassicrunner

bassicrunner

Sep 23, 2001
    Hi, what are some pros and cons of these amps. I'm going to hook it up to an EA CXL-110. Which would be warmer, which is more powerful?
    What are some similar amps? Thanks in advance.

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It seems like a mismatch. Really expensive head and little speaker cab. You may want to look into an Eden in the 400-500 watt range or maybe a Mesa walkabout if an integrated preamp/amp is what floats your boat.

Those heads (Eden 800 and SWR 900) are really the high priced spread. If you aren't totally hooked on one of these new, you could get a nice preamp (SWR, Ampeg, Peavey, AGuilar?) a more powerful power amp (Mackie, Carvin, others), and some really nice rack mounted effects for less than either of these units new.

JMO....They're both overpriced. If you can pick either up used in the $750-900 range instead, my opinion means nothing. They're equivalent heads. Just a matter of your preferences. I've heard SWR's are slightly "louder" than Edens. Who knows?

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you have the CXL110 yet? It would be too small to use with one of those heads. However, the CXL112 would be killer matched with one of them. Or even better a Euphonic Audio iAMP! Usually to describe those heads one would say....Eden-very warm, yet clear. A more "wooly" sound. SWR-crystal clear, almost sterile sound. Very natural, with a crisp high end. It's up to you!:)