WT-800 or SVT 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vooch311, Aug 28, 2001.

1. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm making the jump to a good system and need some helpful opinions. Which is the better amp in your opinion, Ampeg SVT Pro 3 or 4, or the Eden WT-800? I'm partial to the Eden but have heard the SVT's are good as well.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WT-800 or SVT? What was the question?
  3. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    thanks for the help bud
  4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, OK ... that's just my way of saying "don't be silly. The Eden will leave the SVT blowing in the weeds." Read the posts re: Brendan's new Eden rig. Or ask Muttluk all about it.
  5. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    ok cool,
    so why do pro's like wooten and claypool use svt's then?
  6. Yeah, SLM's new SVT's have power/output ratings that are a little over-inflated...like WAY over-inflated.
    I recently bought (online) an Eden WT-800 purely on reviews and what others had to say about it. I couldn't try it out nor A/B with an SVT where I live, but from recent experiences with SLM Ampegs, i'm quite comfortable that the Eden will kick arse with bigger boots than a new Ampeg ever could (maybe with the exception of a *real* SVT or SVT-II)
  7. Um, 'cause they are endorsed by Ampeg? ;)
    Many reasons actually - the tone is probably the biggest. Just because a "pro" uses a piece of kit doesn't mean the kit is the bomb...to each their own.

I never dissed the tone of Ampegs, actually the Ampeg tone is EXACTLY me, but pity the power just isn't there.

I mean, my old B2R (350w@4) would get it's arse kicked by a (similar-powered) GK700RB. Ampeg are good at inflating RMS ratings - maybe they're an average of Program and Peak ratings, who knows.
    But power is relative to the application and individual. Do either of these guys need meaty power to cut through? Nah, probably not, they're virtuosos, different music. Does Motorhead need meaty power? Of course...

Also, if you've got the $$ (or have good endorsements) you don't have to limit yourself to one amp on stage - you'll see a number of bassists in larger bands using multiple amps driving multiple cabinets, obviously giving more power.
  8. vooch311

Aug 28, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    ok i get it now. thanks for the info :)
  9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I spoke with Victor a few years ago when he started using Ampeg and he told me the reason he's using it is to give Ampeg a little more credibility in the jazz circles. I had the opportunity to buy a SVt 4 pro for $450. That's a great deal but I found the amp didn't have anywhere close to the amount of watts it is supposed, and yes it was in perfect working order. Tonewise, it was OK. Nothing special. It had nice lows, glassy highs and no mids. I liked the lows but that was it.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm with Munji and the boyz here, the WT800 is a better amp, hands down. SLM Ampegs are, in general, not my cup o' tea. And yeah, the power ratings on that 4 Pro seem to be, how shall we say, a bit optimistic!
  11. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Why is it that if Ampeg has "optimistic" power ratings (which effects peoples opinions of their products and eventually sales), that they continue to manufacture amps the same way? Is Eden's power ratings in excess of what they claim? Or do the two manufacturers claim power ratings using different methods of computing the power ratings?:confused:
  12. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    cuz people buy them;) .....
    i have nothing against the SVT4PRO, but yeah their power ratings are kinda overrated. not that ive cranked the amp up all the way at the store to check, but you can tell it lacks in the power it boasts.
    another vote for eden :cool:
    you wont be disappointed
  13. I'm here, i'm here!

Back when i was shopping around for a new amp rig, i tried many amps. Here's what i tried out. Swr 350, and Ampeg Svt-3 (the less powerful version of the Svt-4). I liked the sound of the Svt-3 better than the SWR, and i thought i was set. My dad wanted to fly up to Seattle to see EMP, and visit relatives. because of this board, i'd heard of a couple of things. One of them was Bass NW, a WONDERFUL bass store, located in Seattle (right by EMP too!), and the other was some small bass amp brand by the name of Eden. I figured, why not go to the store and try a ton of things out. From the first note i hit of the Eden WT-800, going though a D-4x10xlt, i knew it was the amp i wanted. It's eq capabilities were FAR better than the SVT, cleaner tone, better tone IMHO. I honestly cannot say a bad thing about the Eden.

GO EDEN.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hands down Eden. I've shopped around for amps, GK, Ampeg, SWR, Trace Elliot, ect, and I gotta say, Eden is where it's at. it's the most absoultly tone rich amp I've ever come across. It was love at first sight, I tell you what. I really can't say Eden is the best for you, but for me...:D

Now onto a WT-800 and an D-18XL...in the faaaaaar future. The stuff is good, but fairly expensive new. Was lucky...wait, Re: my eden thread.

Go Eden!
    E- For Elegance, tone of!
    D- For Delicious, possibilities of EQ!.
    E- For Excellence, Sound of!
    N- For Need, nothing else!

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    E - for essence of tone
    D - for delirious with satisfaction
    E - for eleemosynary
    N - now, now, now, Mr. Munjibunga
  16. E for Exellence (as in exellence in quality)
    D for Death (as in its tone to die for)
    E for Eq (as in you'll have eq options coming out of the wazoo)
    N for Not (as in not enough good things to say about Eden)
  17. E = exceptionally
    D = dumb
    E = expense for
    N = nil

...but i'm sure it's gonna be worth it. My funds wire finally went thru so I should have my WT800 next week! :D

But I think i'll be living on the street for a while...they're not a cheap amp!
  18. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    So which do you guys think is better out of a WT400 or an SVT3 Pro? I really love the ampeg tone so would the WT400 compare?
  19. re-read the entire thread, replacing "WT-800" with "WT-400", and "SVT-4" with "SVT-3" Answer is there.

The WT-400 is basicly the same amp as the WT-800, without a sterio power amp, and cross over. The SVT-3 is basicly the same as the SVT-4, but less powerful, and no "tube gain" knob.