WT-800 Q's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I just bought a WT-800 and it's an AMAZING amp. I love it. I have some quick questions about it though so i can get the most out of my amp.

1. The frequency knobs on the top of it (3 of them) they
    dont seem to change my tone that noticably if at all.
    Should i be able to notice it if the mid is all the way at 8
    o'clock then if i change it all the way to 4 o'clock?
    2. I also bought an Ampeg PR-410HLF cab (600 watts RMS
    @ 4 ohms) The 800 has plenty of power for this cab... if
    not maybe too much
    with the active EQ. I'm worried about blowing a speaker
    or damaging my cab... should I be very cautious or am i
    good as long
    as gain isnt all the way up and bass and low range up too?
    3. (last question) I'm trying to find the best way to get
    maximum output on my amp without clipping. I get most
    of my volume from my gain and not my master, but my
    master is what controls what the cab gets. I also notice
    that when gain is up the compressor light will flicker a little
    bit at my strong attacks. Should I not fear the
    compressor light at all? I know to fear the output
    lights. Would i be ok if i had my gain all the way up and
    my master way down?

thanks for your help!
  2. 1. The top three EQ knobs control frequency and do not have any effect unless you are boosting or cutting using the bottom three EQ knobs. Eden EQ is very powerful, so you will certainly hear a difference by turning the bottom three.

2. Your cabinet should be able to handle the power if you are reasonably careful. Are you bridging, or using a single channel to power it? Either way, as long as you are not clipping, and the speakers aren't farting, you are fine. Be careful adding too much bass. Your are better off to cut the mids a little than to add bass. Too much bass is a lot harder on you amp and speakers.

3. Generally I like to get the input Gain set so the the SET light is flashing on peaks, then adjust the Master for the overall volume. As for the compressor, the more the light flashes, the more compression you will get. If I use the compressor, I tend to use it sparingly. Most of the time I bypass it (use bypass switch).

Edens have a lot of headroom, so there is no problem cranking up the gain a little more and lowering the output volume. This helps improve your signal to noise ratio.

For starters I would set everything flat, adjusting the gain until the set light flickers on peaks (compressor bypassed), adjusting output to suit. Then I would add Enhance until it sounds close to what you are after. From there you can add bass or treble using the shelving EQ, or use the semi-parametric EQ to fine tune your tone. Subtractive EQ is more musical than additive EQ, so try to take out a little of the frequencies that you don't like, rather than adding the ones that you do. Many people use their Edens set flat with a little Enhance.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Excellent advice, Kevin! Too many players think adding EQ is the answer. As you correctly point out, dropping EQ is the most effective solution in the majority of stage situations. :cool:
  4. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    When you add EQ you tend to add noise, as you are artifically boosting something that is not there.

If you want a scooped out sound, remove mids instead of adding treble and bass for the same result with less distortion of signal.

Guitar amps like Marshalls are only subtractive, passive circuits. Want to hear what a Marshall sounds like, turn everything to 10. Bass amps are generally active and thus allow us to add EQ, but it is usually at the expense of s/n losses.
  5. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Congrats on your amp; they're great amps.

I have a WT-600, and I wanted to make sure you know that your amp is NOT bridgeable to 4 Ohms. (that would let each 'half' of the amp 'see' 2 Ohms...)

If you're bridging, don't bridge into 4 Ohms.

If you're running NOT-bridged, each side of your amp will put out 400 into 4 Ohms.

If you want to bridge to get 800 watts, only go into 8 Ohms bridged.

(sorry if that was overly redundant :smug: )
  6. Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    thank you so much you guys!!! This will make me feel safter when using my 2 grand bass amp now! Ill let you guys now what my setting are when i go and test it out. Thanks a ton!!

Oh! Im not bridging it.. im going 4 ohms into my 4 ohms cab. Speakon to Speakon!
  7. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    OK, cool... have fun! :bassist:
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I remember a mixing board we had in one band a LONG time ago- the eq section was cut only, no boost. Start with everything full up, then dial it out freq by freq. Sounded huge, full and musical. After the eq was set, we could boost the volume a lot more than if we started boosting the bass, then the treble, a little more bass, some mids...before you know it, you're all out of headroom and clipping your amp. Subtracting frequencies also develops your ear a lot more than adding them, IMHO. You learn more about the "voice" of the different frequencies. When a club owner tells my band that we're "too loud, turn down" I head straight for my bass knob. Then we take out some of the top eq, if it's still too loud, we'll cut some 1K-2.5K. Works like a charm, and we never have to touch the masters! :p
  9. Somehow I missed the 4ohm cabinet in the original post, so I didn't think about the problem bridging into 4ohms. Actually I have be told on the hush hush from Eden that you can bridge into 4ohms, but it is not recommended because it can lead to overheating.

The WT amps have a limiter on the output, so 400W from a single channel into your 600W cabinet should be fine as long as you don't push it too hard.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My guess is it went something like this: "Well, you can bridge the amp into 4 ohms, but it will blow up. Don't tell anybody, especially those guys over at TalkBass."