Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT-800 question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Feb 28, 2005.

1. I'm running my older Eden WT-800 head at 8 ohms bridged into an Avatar 212 8 ohm cab. I love the tone and it gets really loud. I run the EQ flat and use my basses tone controls to get my tone, I really love the way it sounds. My question is: My power amp clip light comes on every once in a while? Should I be worried? My preamp clip light never lights up. Am I underpowering my Avatar cab? I know the cab is rated at 1000watts, so I should be OK. Also, I never hear any kind of distortion, which is good.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    No such thing as underpowering a cab - just underpowering a gig. What you're doing is pushing the power section to it's limit. Having the clip light flash on every now and then is not bad - having it one frequently or constantly is BAD. Genereally you can go 1.5-2x what a cab is rated for in watts, so you might want to look into a power amp for more headroom, or a second cab if you need instanteous loads more volume.

Ray

3. Thanks BadHabit. Lucky for me the clip light is not constantly on, and it's usually on gigs where I'm really pushing the amp to it's limit. I think the solution is a more powerful head, but I hate to part with my WT-800, it's such a reliable amp, and it sounds good.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Right, that's where you just get a power amp on top of it. You'll have all the headroom your wallet will let you, and have that yummy Eden tone :cool:.

Ray