Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT-800 trade for SVT-IV Pro???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    My WT is a great amp but the problem is i cant get a lot of power or head room out of it running @ 4 ohms into my 4 ohm cab. I cant bridge it because of the ohms so my thoughts are more power. (Im worried about damaging my speakers) I run out of head room and my output limit lights start going crazy. So I see that the SVT-IV can do 2, 4, and 8 ohms and i can bridge @ 4 ohms too to get i believe 1200 watts. (i own a PR-410HLF cab and it is 600 watts rms @ 4 ohms and 1200 watt program power handling) So I'm thinking the SVT-IV will give me the head room i want and a great tone as well.
    What do you guys recommend from your past experiences and thoughts?

2. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I am currently set up with the SVT-IV Pro head into the PR-410HLF cabinet. I've had the setup for about 6 months now and can attest to its abilities. I replaced a MUCH larger setup (SWR 6x10 on top of an SQR 1x18), and have noticed much increased clarity and midrange power. That is a power hungry cabinet with relatively low sensitivity (96dB/1W/1m) so whatever power you can provide it will certainly help if volume is an issue.

The head also offers a lot of flexibility if you ever get different cabinets and want to run crossover/biamp setups. I've been really pleased with it. Unfortunately I cannot compare it to the WT-800, since I've only tried the WT-800 for 30 minutes or so. One important factor to note is that if your current Eden's output is 800 watts into the cabinet, and the Ampeg's is 1200 watts, you will not notice a significant volume difference. As a general (and extremely simplified) rule, to gain 3dB, you need to double your power. 3dB is a relatively small increase in volume, though noticeable. You would not even be attaining that increase by doing this amplifier switch.

My first suggestion if you find you're sucking up a lot of power would be to change some equalizer settings. Try to eliminate any boosting at low frequencies (below 70 to 100 hz). Those will suck up power quickly and really not improve tone much unless you're doing dub/reggae. Extra perceived volume can be attained by some careful and *slight* boosting in the low-mids (I've had success with the 200-500hz range). That is a very powerful tool and you'll have to play to see what sounds right to you. Try this before you think about a big change such as your amplifier.

If you do end up getting the Ampeg, I know you'll enjoy it. Just make absolutely sure you use the correct wiring for bridging - it is NOT a standard Speakon wiring setup. People have had problems with that in the past.

3. I think the problem is more your cab than the head. Get two 8 ohm cabs instead of one 4 ohm. That will give you a lot more volume.

4. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    bassian- I'm eager to hear more about your setup with the SVT-IVpro and the pro cab. Yes my amp can put out 800 watts @ 8 ohms but unfortunately I can not do that (8 into 4) so I'm actually only putting 400 watts into my cab which is rated at 600 watts rms :( So I'm thinking that I could triple my wattage (yes i know I'll only be gaining roughly 6 dB) but I should get more head room and wont be putting my amp in as much danger as now.
    What volume lvls do you play at and what are all of your settings? I try to mess with my EQ but i get a lot of my volume from the lows (I dont run them very hard either) I like my Eden but I'm affraid I should('ve) gone with all ampeg.

Im also considering buying a 210 cab and bridging my amp and running my cabs in a series to put 800 watts into the whole set up... but not totally sure.

Also what amp do you guys think would be ideal for the PR-410HLF cab??

5. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I forgot that the WT-800 was a stereo amp and only did 800 watts bridged into 8 ohms. If your cabinet right now is only getting 400 watts from the Eden, it's certainly not going to be hugely impressive. It won't be bad, but that low sensitivity cabinet will handle much more power.

As for my playing, I play in a 4 piece rock band right now with an aggressive (but not excessively loud) drummer. I play a 6 string bass and I don't usually slap. I always play fingerstyle and wanted a sound that would really hit hard when I played low, but growl when I played higher and plucked near the bridge. With my previous SWR gear I just could NOT get mids to come out. I could get excessive sub-bass that I never find useful, and lots of clicking, but no mid. With the Ampeg stuff, I do need to run a fair bit of power to the cabinet even for practices. To get the sound I've currently been using, my settings are as follows:

Ultra Lo, Ultra Hi, Bright switches OFF. Bass at 12 o'clock, Mid at 2 o'clock with mid frequency selector on position 2 (340 hz if I remember correctly from the manual), treble at about 11 o'clock. Graphic EQ is enabled with some cut from the lowest band (30hz), flat across the range with a notch cutting the 2khz range. Gain is about halfway for my bass with the PAD off and the peak light flashing when I really dig in. For practice my master volume is usually at about 11:30 or 12:00. I imagine it wouldn't change a lot for gigs. This setup gives me powerful bass that doesn't suck power for ultra-low mud and just hits you in the chest with a good low-mid grunt. You'd be surprised how much power is contained between 60 and 120hz on a Low B (fundamental around 31hz), and how much more easily an amplifier will handle it.

The Ampeg SVT 4 is a great match for the cabinet, but shouldn't be your only option. You could get a pre/power setup for a similar price by going for your preamp of choice (BBE BMax, Ampeg, SWR, Sansamp, etc), and a good power amp (QSC RMX or PLX). This would allow you more flexibility and power than even the SVT 4 has to offer. For a simple solution, I've been really impressed with the SVT 4 as a great head, despite what some other members may say. The SVT 4 Pro is an excellent cosmetic match for the cabinet (as it should be).

In the end, you're going to have to try it out. It's the sound you are going for, and the SVT 4 Pro may not have that sound you like. Make sure whatever you do, you try it if at all possible. Feel free to PM me or email me if you want more details, pictures, anything.

6. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    just last night i went and tried out the SVT-4PRO. It definately had a lot of Power! But unfortunately I didn't really care for the tone. It wasn't a bad tone, but I definately couldn't get as many tones with it as i could my WT. So I've come to a conclusion that should be pretty good.

I think I'm going to sell my WT-800 and get the new model of that (can't remember the exact name) but i will be able to do
    a bunch of different set ups as far as wattages and ohms go. I'll be able to bridge it and put 1000 watts at 4 ohms into my power hungry cab. This should solve my problem with clipping and running the risk of damaging something. I'll also be able to keep my rocking cab! (Its one of the best sounding cabs in my opinion. great lows, mids and high responses... just is a beast to carry)