WT400 or GK 1001RBII (advice please)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottyBoy, Jan 15, 2005.

1. I have 2 X Aguilar GS 112's. Out of these 2 heads, which would you prefer? Specifically want to hear from ppl who have played through the aggies with these heads.

A bit of background. I play with a warwick Corvette 5. Mainly pop/dance style covers and church. I dont play with loud guitarists - both of these heads would do fine volume wise. I have tried both heads and like both - but have not had the chance to play through my cabinets.

I am looking for which would give me more punch out of these 2 for the aggies? Now I know the aggies reputaiton for being mid shy but first thing I want to find out is if I like any of these heads with the aggies - then may change cabs later.

Before I get suggestions about higher end heads such as EA, WW, Thunderfunk etc.. I live in Australia and these 2 are what are readily available to me! BTW, the eden will be used and the GK brand new.

Opinions please.
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    No contest, the GK. The Eden has a nice tone but far from PUNCH!! Not to mention nearly twice the power.
  3. Thanks - anyone else? Even a general comparison with the wt400 and the GK 1001rbII and how you "think" they would sound through the aggies.

4. +1

Go with the GK and dont look back.
  5. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Absolutely GK. After 8 years of owning the amp I have finally mastered the contour & presence. Absolutely fantastic tone modifications. I actually have my bass knob way down at like 9 & my low mid up to about 3. Funky sound.
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

The WT400 has plenty of punch...and it seems a lot louder than the published wattage would indicate.

I can't knock the GK. I've always liked GK, but I do know that Eden heads give you great tone (subjective opinion) right out of the box. There are no knobs to "master"...a very straightforward amp with great tone set flat. Only minor tweaking would be needed.

But only you can try them side by side and compare.
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Both good choices, I sold my Eden WT800 for a GK1001-II and I'm happier overall. I thought the Eden was darker and heavier sounding, but had good power reserve for low end slam when needed. My GK is so new I'm still finding out what it can do. Its a whole different animal compared to the Eden which was "set and forget" but I couldn't ever "forget" about it, was never totally what I wanted. having said that, it served me very well for 6 years in a pop band. In your case the GK will provide more power than the WT400, I say try the GK. Good luck
  8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I've owned both. I'd say the Eden has a bigger bottom end. The GK obviously has more power. Try em both and decide which sound you like better.
  9. heya scotty,

where'd you get the aggies for and how much?
  10. hey dude,

I ordered the first one through a local music shop through the Aguilar distributor in Australia - www.dominantmusic.com.au. The second one I got sent over from Bass Central in Florida. I'll pm you with prices etc.

11. Thanks. How is the sound of the GK through the GS212? Would you say you have "punch" with this setup. I have been very disapointed with my current SWR SM400 through the aggies and am hoping the GK or the Eden would go some way to rectify this.
    I wasn't even considering an Eden until the past weekend at my local shop, I played through an Eden WT400 into an Eden 2X15. WOW! I did not know 15's could sound like that - very punchy. I have always played 10's and now 12's and the 15's really surprised me. So this led me to thinking that maybe I could get some more punch out of the aggies.

12. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    If its punch you are looking for, the GK is far punchier than the Eden. I owned the Eden WT800 for years...great amp, but the GK tends to be voiced with a little less low bass and a more present but uncluttered mid range. I'm really digging the GK for its natural ability to reproduce the sound of the bass without sounding sterile. Plus, it has a deep switch if you need sub sonic low end. Easy to eq. A lot of us have trouble eqing the GK at first because the eq is very responsive to subtle adjustments...once you realize the natural voice of the amp, you realize it doesn't need drastic knobbing to get good tone. I run mine flat except for treble on 10:30 (it does have over zealous highs) and the bass on 1:00-1:30. On the flip side, my 3 month old GK is in the shop for warranty repair. The front panel light (blue) stopped working, then the second speakon output stopped working...hmmm...not impressive reliability so far for the GK. Never ever ever had a problem with the Eden in the 7 years I owned it.
  13. I've got the GK through Aggies. Plenty of punch, and nice and clean.
  14. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I can't speak specifically on running these heads with aggies, but I can provide some comments for your info because I currently use either a WT-550 (the next model up from the 400) or a 1001rb II with my Eden or EA cabs, depending on the gig.

The GK will be a little more punchier partially due to the higher wattage, and also because of their design (tone is meant to be quick and punchy).

The Eden, IMHO, will have more of a tube-style tone due to the tube preamp, deep lows and rich mids with harmonic content that you might not get with solid state heads. Don't get me wrong the GK has tons of bottom and excellent mids and highs, it's just a different style tone.

I actually like both heads. I've been using the GK for the top40, funk and R&B gigs, and the WT-550 for the blues and old school music applications. I used the WT-550 in the studio for some projects and was able to get a very nice recording tone direct into the board from the preamp.

For your applications, the GK might be the better way to go. You have lots of power and headroom, great tone, compact size, all at a very reasonable price.

:bassist: :D :bassist:
  15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The GK pairs well with the GS 212. The Aggie seems to ad a bit of the low wooliness that the GK sound doesn't have. With the versatile GK preamp, pretty much every sound is available. It's definitely punchy. I recommend the combination.
  16. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    What they say is true, GK all the way.
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i say the GK because that's what i want! :D
  18. Oh yeah, I found my dream tone through that setup. It was so sweet.

I would say go Eden if you're lookin for warmth and smoothness, but then again I've never actually played GK stuff, but the artist that use them, I like their tones (from recordings, I dont really know if you can judge from recordings though) I've liked.