Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WT400 + poweramp or WT800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Nov 20, 2002.

1. hey guys, sorry for the dumb questions I keep asking, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get my setup as professional as possible for the best sound.
    Right now I've got a WT400, a 410XLT and a D115 (all eden). My original thought was to keep the WT400 and 410XLT (8ohm) and buy a Crown K-2 poweramp and replace the D115 with a D115XL(T) (8 ohm), but I also saw a WT800 for sale, so I'm kind of split on where I should go.
    The Crown will ultimately pump out more power, which will allow me to adequately push my lows (the WT400 master volume begins clipping at any decent volume with my lows pushed), and I'm imagining the speakers should be able to handle them (410XLT rated at 700 watts, the 115XLT being rated at 400 watts), but I don't know if the 800 would simply be a better, more economical way to go.
    Thanks a lot for any help, guys.

2. OK, let me see if I understand what you want to do. You have a 115 cab that you are gonna replace with a 115 cab + tweeter. (why?) You might keep the 400 watt amp and buy a Crown K-2 1600 watts at least bridged in 8 ohms. What are you going to push with the K-2, the 115? Are you going to continue to use the 400 as your pre-amp/power amp to push the 4x10 or just let the Crown do it all. Or you might not buy the Crown and buy a Eden stereo amp with 400 watts per channel. In all honesty, the Eden 800 should do the job. The Crown will have more head room if you feel you need it but the rig is gonna be a bigger hassle to setup and move around. I don't think you will go wrong with either decision. I don't really think you need to replace your 1x15 cab however. Save that money and buy something else. jmho:D

3. well the D115 that I have now is 8 ohm, rated at 200 watts. the minimum i'd be pushing with either amp (800 or K-2) would be 400 watts to each cab, and I don't wanna blow the poor 115.

With the K-2, my setup would be: the 400 as the preamp, then out to the K-2 as the poweramp, which then feeds both the 410 and the 115, which are both 8 ohms, at least, that's how my knowledge of the setup would go.

I just bought an 8 space rack in preparation for all this, although i'm sure i'll get use out of it either way, though I could get away with a smaller rack if I get the 800 instead of a poweramp!

decisions, decisions, but i'll probably stick with the poweramp to give myself the headroom, i don't like clipping my master volume so early on with the 400, and I don't want to run into this problem again.

4. That 400 + a power amp will = one heavy rack. I agree that the 800 will probably suit your needs.

Or go with the Navigator preamp and a Poweramp. But that gets into a bit more cash, although you can sell the 400.

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    One thing to consider is that the WT-300/WT-400 sound different (better to my ears) than the bigger amps. I've owned WT-300, WT-400 and WT-800 and much prefered the tone of the 300/400. Personally I'd keep the WT-400 and just add a power amp.

Chuck

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    and from the other side of the coin, i say the 400 and the 800 sound exactly the same.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    logic would dictate one to just buy the Crown, turn off the tweeter in your current 15" cab.

but a WT800 would be a much cleaner stage look.

ok, i'm that vain... ;)

but i'd go with option one. its more "future" proof. you could use the headroom, and besides, later, you might want a different sound, and at least you'll have a nice power amp ready and willing to accept whatever preamp you're thinking of buying.

8. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I agree with Chuck M, the WT-300/400 just sound better than the WT800. Also in my opinion the WT-300 somehow seemed to have more output than the WT800 using one channel.
    The past couple of months I've had both of them. I first had a WT300 and sold thinking the WT800 would be so much better. Well the WT800 did not sound nearly as good as the WT300 and the power was no better (I did not bridge it because I didn't have an 8 ohm cab). Also the WT800 would just cut off after heavy usage.
    Anyway I just ended up getting an Ampeg SVT-4Pro which I like better than the Eden and has much more power.

9. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Some thing you should relize is a wt800 makes 800 watts bridged at 8 ohms or 400 per side at 4 ohms or mabye 250 per side at 8 ohms.

So what would you do with a pair of 8 ohm cabs?

Run 1 cab (410xlt) bridged mono.800watts into 700 watt cab.

run a 8 hm cab into each side and get 250 into each.

Run them bolth into one side of the amp.

I would either get a wt800 and use the 2 cabs seperatly. Or get a seperate pre /power amp

AJ

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I'm in the same boat. I've had a WT400 for the past year or so and just bought a used 95 model WT800. I don't think the 800 sounds nearly as good as my 400. Not as punchy. I did replace the tube in the 800. Eden will upgrade it to 2002 specs for $300.00 but the upgrades are mainly sheilding and fan. I may just sell it and go with either a WT1000 power amp or get a Stewart 1.2. Any suggestions Eden experts out there????

11. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Bump

12. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well, I'm sure not Gard but I'll give you my opinion.

The WT-300/400 sound different because of differences in the preamp and compressor. The WT-800 is still going to sound about the same even if you use an outboard power amp. The limitation of the power amp (8 ohms bridged) was another reason that I was not too fond of mine.

SWR has been producing amps that will work into a 2 ohm (4 ohm bridged) load for many years and I think Eden will eventually realize that many players prefer that versatility in their heads.

Depending on the tone you are looking for you may want to go to a seperate pre/power amp.

Chuck