1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WT550 & Schroeder 1210, any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flash99, Apr 8, 2006.

1. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I'm currently using an Eden WT550 through a BLB 410 cabinet and I'm very happy with the sound. However, I'm looking for a smaller cabinet for smaller gigs and recording. I've been hearing a lot about Schroeder cabinets and the 1210 sounds like it would be perfect but there is no place I can try one out - and of course, I own a store but now want everything I don't sell. Does anyone play through an Eden/Schroeder setup like this and if so, can you give me your opinions? Thanks.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I haven't played both pieces of gear together, but have played both pieces. My initial reaction would be that it may not be a good match. As you know, Eden gear is very mid present, and I think with the mid emphasis in the Shroeder's voicing, it may be a bit too much. Personally, even though some consider them to be "old" technology, I think Eden cabs match up VERY well with Eden heads. Maybe consider a 4 ohm 210 XLT....

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Pat! Happy Saturday!

I think the mid voicing reputation of the Eden's comes much more from the cabs than the heads... the XLT line, especially (IMO), and the 210XLT really is 'mid present'. However, +1... I played out of a 4ohm 210XLT and WT400 for about a year, and it was nice.

The bad news... that's one heavy 210 (I think 70+ pounds for a 210!), and it bottoms out in the low end when pushed.

I have never tried a 550 with a 1210 either, but I've A/B'd the 550 with the Thunderfunk a number of times with other cabs, and they are pretty close, and the TF matches up with the Schroeder great. So, in a sort of A=B, B=C therefore A=C logic, it seems that might actually be a pretty good matchup.

The 1210 will be quite a bit lighter than the 210XLT and quite a bit louder, and a lot smaller... even moreso with the L version.

As on the previous thread, the 1210 is quite punchy and mid present, but the 550 has plenty of watts at 4ohms to drive it, and that wonderful Eden EQ to even that cab out... I think it might sound pretty cool.

K

4. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    I'm not really interested in a 210XLT - it's not that much smaller or lighter than my 410.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 The 1212L would probably be very cool also... around 40 pounds or so, and just loud as all get-out. Another light, loud cab that I have tried with the WT550 and really liked is the Epifani310UL.... 48 pounds or so, and very nice... lot's of low end and really nice treble response.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

hey Ken!

Ya..agreed on the weight. I used to haul 2 210XLTs and they are big and heavy for 210 cabs for sure. I loved the way the two of them together sounded though, powered by my old WT400. Although I've never played the 1212L, from your description of it and its sound, it does seem it would be a good match for an Eden head.

7. The transitive property!

Not sure if it works the same with amps, though :D

8. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm a Schroeder dealer....you're to keep that in mind with the comment.

I haven't used the 1210 alone with the 550 except at home. It sounds really good to me. I'm more flipped over the 410 frankly, but also owned a 210xlt and feel exactly the same as Ken J about it. Let's leave my contribution here about the Eden. Nice volume, nice flexibilityof tone, not that heavy vs the wattage, can dial out the low mids somewhat but I wouldn'tadvice a total dialout. Turn the enhance around 11 to 1 and you've got really nice tone. Again I dont' sell Eden or for that matter MusicMan basses but their double pickup SR5 with the Eden with Schroeder bottoms and my fingers and ears are making me extremely happy as a fivesome.

The Eden is a nice compromise of volume, tone, weight, and the price isn't "that high" relative to other heads that can do a 2 ohm load safely with the other factors mentioned.

Once I get back from Shanghai next week, I'll be using the 1210 at our local House of Blues gig in their restaurant, not quite the volume or prestige of their concert room, but none the less, I may bring both cabs to that gig to try out. I was supposed to do it at the last gig I played, It was a crowd of 450 and I didn't feel the 1210 was the right cab to go single cab at that room (and was right once I played the 410.)

I don't anticipate you'd have any issues with the Eden 550.

9. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Epifani 210UL 4 ohm. Try it, you'll LOVE it!