1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WT550 & UL410...How Much Better Can A Rig Be?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallboybass, Nov 10, 2006.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Wow!!! I just got my WT550 yesterday (thanks 5bassman) and it really sounds amazing with my Epi UL410! This will come as no shock to any regular here at TB (especially KJung), but it far exceeded my high expectations! Total rig weight: 77 lbs! You could play anywhere with this one!

I was looking for a head that would land between my GK 1001RB-II's SS precision and Mesa WalkAbout's tubey goodness, and run down to 2 ohms...the Eden does exactly that!

Oh well, cut me some slack, I'm still in the honeymoon period and haven't gigged it yet. I'll shut up for now, but let us know how you feel about any of the above statements, or just tell me to chill out.

2. :D

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice rig, for sure :)

4. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I know.

5. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Thats a great description of the Eden...it truly is a "best of both worlds" head. It has the quick punch of a good solid state pre plus the warm, round tone of a phat tube pre. Plus it matches up great with the 410UL - my favorite all around cab of all time. Nice rig!!!

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'll report back for a post-gig de-briefing (?) after Saturday night. This rig is TOTAL overkill for what I'm doing (acoustic piano trio) but I gots to hear it in the real world!

7. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    My guess is, not much better :)

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    I'm gigging my 550 and 210XST tonight. Not quite your Epi but I think it'll sound nice. Those 550 heads are great.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yeah, the 550 is a keeper. I know exactly what you mean about it's tone. you're analogy (550 / GK / Mesa) is right on the money. I actually run either a 550 or a 1001rb II, depending on the gig.

I've recently been swapping out preamp tubes. Don't get me wrong the stock Ruby sounds great. however, if you want a tone that's closer to the Mesa or old school all tube bass amp tone, try sticking a GT 12ax7r (for Russian) in your 550.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    oh man, man!:D

that is the exact rig i'm saving for - just got a Thunderfunk and after getting and hearing it i think the edens slightly fatter warmer sound is for me... and yeah, that crystal eden treble sounds awesome with the epifani horns... great detail but never harsh. awesome

11. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Maybe adding a UL212 would put it completely over the top :)

12. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Oh dude, I know you're right!.....or how 'bout an 8 ohm UL210 so I could have 2, 4, or 6-10s......or another 410 or......

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Nah, I think the 2 12's would compliment the 4 10's and add some serious boootay!

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    212 would defiantly add a TON more low end, but your rig is golden. If its got enough booty, don't touch it.

WT550 is on my gas list, but i was leaning towards 2) 112 Epifani's for it.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Big props on the Epi...just wait til you can gig through it, or at least practice in a live setting. :D

16. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, I did my low volume piano trio gig tonight and although the rig was completely too much for the room, I loved it! Such a solid low end...and the tweeter (which I haven't used much before) was really smooth and SWEET! Must be the tube chilling out the highs, along with that Epi tweet. Anyway, a nice first outing for the Eden, and much anticipation for the next LOUD gig.

17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I agree with your tweeter sentiment. As awesome as the rest of the cab is, the tweeter is my favourite bit!!! But only by a tiny bit. as far as a rig being any "sweeter" I can think of a head or 2 that would push that baby a little harder ;)

18. I really really really want an Epifani 310 or 410 to go with my GK.

WT-550 + UL410 = Insane rig.

19. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yeah, I'm sure that IS true. More power = better, usually. This 410 seems so efficient that it makes smaller heads sound pretty wicked. My WalkAbout is a good example. It covers almost any gig with the Epi. I DID run out of juice at a large theater gig, but there were other circumstances involved as well. I've got a couple of outdoor gigs coming up in a week, so I'll report back with more "post-gig de-briefings". Oh yeah, Wednesday is a fairly loud (I'm old) club gig with a guitar trio that will be a good volume test. Thanks for all the input guys.

20. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    the ul2x12 dosnt get as low as the ul4x10 i doint think....there have been epifani threads that talked about it. im still jonesing for a 3x10+2x12 rig...the 550 is my leading candidate for a 2ohm head:) nice rig man!!!!