Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wt800 or WT550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slaine01, Oct 18, 2003.

1. I am using a Wt800 at the moment into a 4 ohm 4x10 Eden box and and am only using one side of the amp (not bridged as this would be 8 ohms).This gives me 400 watts, unless I buy an 8 ohm box for bridging.I have an option of buying a Wt550 for roughly the trade in price on my WT800 and keeping my 4x10.
    Do you think that this is a good option as the WT550 will give me more headroom as it is a 500 watt amp into 4 ohms? Plus its smaller and lighter.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    why not either trade or sell the 4 ohm box for an 8 ohm?

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with Narud. I wanted a 550 real bad, but panicked and bought an 800 in the period of uncertainty. I don't regret it, but I bridge into an 8-ohm D-410XLT. It rules. Frankly, I don't think you'll really hear that extra hundred watts. Besides, the WT-800 is more versatile as you begin to accumulate cabs, what with bi-amping and stereo modes. I vote swap out the cab for an 8-ohm, or get another 4-ohm (like a D-210XST) for the other side.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I wouldn't bother changing - the difference between 400W and 500W in negligible in the real world - less than 1dB! You won't hear any difference and you'll lose the extra 'upgradeability' of the WT800.

Alex

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I am running 2/410xlt's with my WT800 and the band (guitar and drums) always tell me to turn down.

I would keep the WT800 and either:

Get another 410 (move more air) or get an XST.

I have heard people that get get an XST never turn pack.

GOOD LUCK!

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ja, keep the 800
    you wont notice a big volume diff