Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wtb: 5 string bass! on tight budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by x182, Jun 25, 2004.

1. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    i want to go for a 5 string bass.
    my budget is really low.
    300canadian.

what would you guys recommend?

im only 17. so nothing high end is in order.

i own a yamaha bbg4sii, fretless p bass w/barts and badass2.

so maybe a jazz type?

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Unless you find something used that somebody's pretty much giving away, any 5 string in your price range is probably going to be garbage.

3. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    thx man. that helped alot.

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    totally agreed. If you want something half ok you're looking at a minimum of 100 dollars more.

5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I agree that you're not going to get anything really great for that kind of money, but I picked up a 5-string SX Jazz bass from Rondo Music a few weeks ago that is surprisingly good for the money. Not great, but entirely adequate, and it cost only $149 US. The hardware is on the cheap side, of course, but the finish is actually really nice. Mine has a couple of minor buzzes and could use a fret level and dress, but for the money I'm not complaining. It plays pretty well, and has a decent passive tone. I'd certainly check it out...

http://www.rondomusic.com

Given that you've only got $300 Canadian, saying that you have to spend more than that or just forget about it isn't terribly useful information, I should think. If you can stretch and spend more, then you'll get a slightly better instrument, but if you just don't have the cash, then these instruments are worth a look.

Take a look at the Essex basses megathread.

In this business (as with any other) there's a certain amount of money you have to spend to get a really good, decent instrument. That's not to say that the most expensive instruments are necessarily that much better...there's a point of diminishing returns. Beyond that, what you're buying is nicer wood, prestige, higher-end electronics, etc. When you're down at the low end of the spectrum, there isn't going to be all that much difference. A $300 bass isn't going to be twice as good as a $150 bass. It'll be better, but not THAT much better. Once you start looking at, say, $800-$900 US, then you're talking about instruments that you want to keep for a good, long time.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm just giving you the facts as I know them, homeboy. I paid $500 (american) for my 5 string and the vast majority of people here would call it garbage. Willing to spend extra money (just a little bit more, even, a coupla hundred bucks) could make a night and day difference in the quality of the instrument you get. Instead of fighting to get any useable noise out of it, it'll play much better, and so on and so forth.

My local GC has a couple Spector Rebop 5's on sale for $599 (normally around $975). You oughta consider it. If you're interested, I could give you the number of the store and the guy you should talk to.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Bryce Douglass Jazz 5 from rondo music. $189, a little more than $200 delivered. I'm very happy with mine...It's an "upscale Essex" (SX) got mine from rondomusic.com

8. Just curious as to how they can make these so cheap.

I mean, why is this bass not even $300?

[​IMG]

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    If you don't have any luck finding anything, I've got a Copley 5ver I can sell cheaply. But, frankly the SX and the Brice are better choices, if you can swing it. You can find Washburns and Kramers pretty cheap on Ebay, also.

10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've been on a really tight budget with my new project and needed a new 5er. I got the Rebop 5. Really nice bass for the money, I paid $699 from Spector, not Guitar Center. $300 bucks,mmmmmmm, maybe a used something? Cough up $450 :hyper: and I'll sell you my Six string!

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I've been using my Bryce at both r&b and jazz gigs. It sounds great, it plays great. I let a buddy of mine borrow it last week to record with, andhe loved it. It came with a 30 day no questions asked return policy, heck, Kurt even said he'd apy return shipping if I didn't like it. I don't know if they have barefoot 8 year olds running computer driven lathes or what...I have a pretty nice collection of vintage axes as you can see by my sig, and I have no qualms calling the bryce a great deal. I recommend them.

12. x182

x182

Mar 22, 2004
    ok thx guys. ive decided to keep saving until i find somethign i realli like

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Best choice. And try out a lot until you find "The One"... or a reasonable facsimile.:)

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    x182, I don´t know if Rondo will ship to Canada, but you should give them a try. The Brice and Essex Rondo basses are good work-a-day basses. I´ve been playing 25 years and I´m very satisfied with my $200 Brice. Give them a try, and keep an eye out on the used section here at talkbass. You may find a good deal used. Don´t listen to the naysayers, you can get a workable reliable 5 string bass with your budget!

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've heard mostly good things about those Brice basses. I'd definitely look into them. One other option if Rondo doesn't ship to Canada; OLP basses. Yeah, they're Chinese MM rip-offs, but they get the nod of approval from Ernie Ball. Seems like pretty good bang for the buck.

Besides, they're pretty cool look'n.

r

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hey, I just remembered a couple of other possibilities. Remember the Guild DeArmond line of basses? Most of them where Korean versions of the old Pilot basses from the 80s. Even brand new they were pretty inexpensive and got good reviews. I bet with a little hunting around you might score one used on the cheap.

There's also the Fender Mex Jazz 5 (the PASSIVE model). They're pretty cheap new so a used one might fit the bill.

Dean makes some 5 strings on the cheap.

Oh! and the old Peavey 5s before their low end stuff moved to Asia. Here's something I've tried years ago that's not fantastic but pretty damn good for the cash: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3732604176&rd=1

So far the last bid was under $90 (US). This could be the best deal of the lot. Those pickups are supposed to be humbuckers but I recall they hummed when soloed. BUT! Like a jazz, but them both on full and the noise cancels out.

Good luck

r

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Where does one purchase those?

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think a used Ibanez is a good choice. I had one and they get the job done. You would probably want to upgrade in a couple of years but it will perform.

19. +1
    I have an OLP MM3 with the natural finish that I like alot! It cost me less than $200 U.S. The thing is when buying a bass in this price range you need to try a few out, set up and quaility vary alot. I also believe Yamaha has a pretty decent 5 string in or near your price range, RBX something or other.
    Peavey Millennium BXP can also be had for about $200 U.S

Good luck!

20. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA