WTB: affordable bass for recording

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vaporpark, Apr 19, 2004.

1. vaporpark

Apr 9, 2004

I want to buy an affordable bass that will give me good results for recording classic rock, fusion, and jazz type music. I have done many searches and came up with the following in my price range. Any recommendations on these or any others that I missed would be very much appreciated.

Essex SPJ62

Yamaha RBX170

Yamaha RBX270

ESP B50

ESP B104

Peavey Millennium BXP 4-String

ESP B154FM

2. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Even though those Yamaha basses are inexpensive,I'm impressed with how good they sound,everytime I plug one in at G.C.
    Considering your needs and their price,especially in comparison with your other listed options,I'd go with one of them.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Find the sweetest MIM Fender you can and drop Dimarzio's in. Complete tonal variety. :)
  4. My advice is to watch for a good deal on a Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz Bass. I got mine at Guitar Center on clearance for $300. GOOD DEAL! I'm really pleased with it, and this isn't initial-purchase giddiness. I've had it for well over a year now. It sounds and plays awesome live strung with roundwounds, and it sounds absolutely perfect in the studio with a good set of flatwound strings. Note: I did put a Badass II bridge on mine, and yes it was an improvement. But I really love this bass.