1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

WTH is this!?! Besides a Hondo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lexy Bivens, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    0812182110a.jpg 0812182111.jpg
    **EDIT TO ADD: The jack is on the bottom Of the body. Anything with the "Marker" style writing, I'm not seeing bottom jack, unless it has no other information! *shakes fist at Google Lens***

I bought this from a pawn shop back in 1995. Until last week, it's been my only electric bass.

I know it's a Hondo I, due to the gold script and no II
    . NO markings ANYWHERE else front or back of body, neck, head, plate. I don't recall seeing anything inside the plate, but if that's the place to look, I'll get it back off (had issues getting back on, though plenty of room! If fit WAY more wires in an animatronic dinos control box. No comparison.

No pick guard. No holes from removed guard.
    Never looked modified, I mean it had an acrylic or plastic (weird feeling and clear. I've not felt (oh shut up) many nuts, just the plastic off acoustic Dean, the "Bone" on Yamaha, and this, which also is a ***** to sand/file (needed emergency nut for 40 p/J bass, tiny town where music shops closed til Mon or Tues)

Has a nice deep smooth sound if you can handle 1/4" string height (I'm gonna straighten neck slowly, truss did nada. Why not. It's a Hondo and useless but for parts now. )
    But.
    25 years I wanted to know, how OLD is this and WHAT is it?
    It's curiosity, I'd never get rid of it, I drooled over it for so long, saved up at 15 from job (damn kids these days) and wanted a bass for years.

I know it's not worth anything to anyone else. or a rare thing but my new bass is a p/J and I do collect weird, random, or lonely instruments. (not $$$ ones, just random, or silly, or things I like. Thug no Hurdy Gurdy or Glass Harmonicas allowed. I'm not the one who gets the paycheck!!) as many cowbells as I can get by with, another mini one yesterday... But was free... And SAYS more cowbell on it... Now I have a marched pair hehe), 2 didgeridoos, djembe, mostly rhythm etc, some I play).

Help please?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    3rdworlder and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  2. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Pretty typical 80's headstock. Bullet truss rod probably Matsumoku. If the body is real wood and you can straighten the neck, actually pretty decent, if not dated bass.No pickguard is not unusual from that time either.

Lexy Bivens and saabfender like this.
  3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    replace the rod and maybe the wiring to get'r rockin'!

Lexy Bivens likes this.
  4. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    Why replace the rod?
    The truss nut was as tight as it would turn, soon as I learned it existed. So at least 25 years kept in tune, Wutg truss over right...
    . Took neck OFF loosened truss totally, left it a week, NO different in the twist.
    G side is straight.

Wjere I am humidity is about 97% this time of year and DAMN hot.

The notches/grooves are WAY too deep, so I know that's a huge issue causing the action to be set so high, but as I stole it, and re shaped it just enough to make my Yamaha playable (but can still get right nut at store. Not paying to put it in either bass. They both WAY over charge, as only 2 places to rent or repair band/orchestra for here and a bunch of small towns all around. Monopoly)

5. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    Any idea on which line?

How can I tell WHAT the body is made of? It's got the typical 8u coats of varnish over an opaque white, then a pearl coat? I mean, it's wood under the back door and at neck/body bolt on.

6. I dig the body, headstock, not so much. If the neck's a write-off anyway, I'd just swap it for a new one and keep on rocking :thumbsup:

J-Mags and Lexy Bivens like this.
  7. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    TY for the shim idea!!!
    Wish ANYBODY who everybolaued or tuned my bass for me (until iTunes came out with a paid app, <10byears ago. I couldn't tune the E myself to tune the rest... Love my Snark! (and 87 other ways to get it PERFECT when fine tuning)

that ONE PERSON could have told me the strings were WAY too highhigh and grab one of your 87 sets of small hex wrenches and LOWER THE ACTION

I was scared to mess with things u didn't know about.
    We won't discuss my attempt at restringing the banjo.... And I was married to a "Muscian" for nearly a decade. Brass, and drilled into head about the delicacy of certain parts, and not messing with others. Plus rather than ENCOURAGING me to try to pick it back up, the man who taught band camp only would tell me I "wouldn't get it" - music theory.
    I'd basically get a cookie if I could count out the time signature. (as a fmr hobby ballroom dancer who can polka, and years of tap, ballet, and jazz, it isn't that hard. He sat there are argued with me over 7/4 time existing. Asked him if ever heard of Roger Daltrey. As he couldn't actually admit he doesn't know who he belongs to, despite being 1e yrs my senior, so was cool whe he was in HS, he shut up. I framed my divorce papers LOL)

As soon as it cools a bit, I'm down to the lath in my kitchen And need to get those foundational cracks filled proper so can get someone in to white coat, then
    II'm on vacation for 2 weeks.

Figured winter be a good time to start actively working on neck, as the humidity will stay the same all winter and not fluxuate so bad...

I can't play my Dean b/c takes ages to get it in tune and won't stay there too long right now. My glasses fogged over all day, and was out n about all day. Worse here than in the south.

Johnny Crab likes this.
  8. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    Heck, no idea necks
    My jack is on the BOTTOM of the body. All I see are below tone knob knobs...

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021