Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WTH?!?! Is this normal? (TI Jazz Flats)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I got my new set of TI Jazz flats for my Fender P yesterday. I put 'em on and set up my bass. It plays like butter now. Only one problem though.

The E string is twangy and weak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :meh:

This is not my first experience with flats, I know they can be zingy for the first couple weeks. The A, D, and G strings have no zing on them at all. The E string has no low end at all and is very twangy :confused: ?!?!?! The A and D strings sound AMAZING. I'm in love with the sound.

I remember reading something about the string might be "twisted" so I took it off and put it back on. No change.

Before I had the pu's on my P coming up in the middle like a steeple. The A and D sound so powerful compared to the E I've had to level out the pu under the D and G while the other pu is now the opposite of where it was. Lower under the A and raised under the E. It still doesn't sound right. It's not so much the E's twanginess that's bothering me. I know that'll go away. It's the lack of low end.

Did I get a bad string????? :confused:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's what it sound like to me. That is very strange!

3. You might have a bad E-string. I put TI Jazz Flats on a Fender Jazz, and it took some getting used to the softness of the TIs - I had to tweak the set-up also. They're great strings - well worth the effort of getting it right. Try changing the "E".

Hope this helps -

- Wil

4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    That's sound unusual. I have two basses strung with TI jazz flats - A Frender P Bass Lyte and an Ibanez. Takes a little while to break them in but they sound decent even from the beginning.

5. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I don't know what I should do. I bought the set from the Dudepit. I like the strings so much I'm not ready to give up on them. What's Steve's handle on TB? I wonder if he'll give me a replacement or atleast sell me a single. I recently got layed off and am too broke to buy another set.

6. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    If that doesn't work, maybe you can go to the company direct. I did that once when I got a bad set of Elixir strings. The store wasn't much help so I went direct to Elixir and they asked me to send the strings back and sent a replacement new set. You may have to wait, but there are strings worth waiting for and one set will last for many years.

7. Squidfinger, purchase a single E, you got a bad string, the core sounds like it may be broken which will cause the string to have no out put no matter how high you raise your pickup.

Don't get discouraged yet, we have all gone through this at one time or another and the problem has a solution.

Steve's handle here at TB is DUDE.

Contact info isVintgeBass@aol.com

Heck PM me with your adress I'll send you a single.......I have a couple of cases on hand. ( free of charge) :D

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

YOU RULE TREENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never forget this. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! :hyper:

TB=friendliest community ever

9. I didn't know Dude worked for TI.

Yah learn somethin' every day.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man, that's one of the things about talkbass that makes it so awesome..

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He doesn't. He's a distributor. Has been since mid-2002 I believe. Actually, he also does Dean Markley and recently picked up Rotosounds.

12. Squidfinger, it's packaged ready to send first thing tomorrow morning......

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Hey, that's really nice of you, Treena. This really is an awesome community of helpful bassists. Found the best solution :hyper:

14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I came in late on this, but that was very nice of Treena.

I would have told you that Dude would definitely take care of you, as would TI. TI has replaced strings for me before, and Dude stands behind what he sells.

But, in any case, problem solved thanks to Treena.

15. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

That's good to know. How many strings has TI replaced for you? The same problem as mine????

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    This was my experience with TI flats. I dont believe that I got a bad string either. I thought the entire set was kind of weak sounding. I get more beef in my sound with DRs.

17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Two that I remember, one E and one B. The E was similar to yours, yes. Kevin Reynolds (sometimes posts here as Thomguy) of Connolly and Co. will take care of you with no problem.

18. Yes, Kevin is a cool guy, he can also be reached here at......

kevinr@nordenholz.com

[​IMG]
    Treena