1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WTH??!! (Rant)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 24, 2009.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

OK, still trying to convince myself that this is not a nightmare. You know this story about myself, right? Dealing with kidney stones since 1987. I think they won't return since last year I started taking medication for mild HBP (for the rest of my life, I guess), and it keeps me peeing a lot. The thing is, I decided to go to the doctor because around six months ago I started feeling a soft pain in my abdomen's right side. After 22 years living with kidney stones I had very clear that this is a different thing. Not constant nor problematic. But lots of people have died just because didn't take care of minor annoyances, so that's why I wanted to see the doctor.

In short, I was ordered an hepatic echography and guess the result? GALLBLADDER STONES! :mad: Lots of them, according to the doctor! Now I have to schedule a laparoscopic surgery for removing those bi***es from my body. I'm seriously thinking of changing my user name to "Stoneman" or something like that.

What pisses me the most is that, aside from not doing exercise and not drinking enough water, I've tried to keep a (comparatively) healthy lifestyle: Absolutely no alcohol, no cigarettes, no drugs, always watching my weight and eating accordingly... I can tell for sure that my only vice is Coca-Cola Zero. But just FYI, aside from all the problems above, I...

- Suffer from chronic constipation.

- Had a pilonidal cyst removed when I was 17.

- Had a bilateral ginecomasty surgery at 18.

- Had an oral maxillofacial surgery at 27 (after six years wearing braces). 45 days with my mouth shut (while recovering) led to a gastritis (successfully treated -I think-).

- Had a little lipoma removed from my left hand at 30.

And now a gallbladder laparoscopic surgery. But many people who has drank, smoked and sniffed whatever they could put their hands on, look stronger than ever in their sixth decade of life (Lemmy Kilmister comes to mind). Sometimes I feel like I'm sort of Mother Nature's Big Mistake. :atoz:

Thanks for your time (end of rant).

2. That sucks. I've been having an absolutely crap couple of days, but this certainly puts things in perspective. You've powered through this much, so stay strong, man.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    So much for clean living Al! I've known people who have had a kidney stone, but never met anybody that's ever had 2. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.

4. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    What exactly does your diet consist of?

Also, drink more water.

5. There's your problem :D

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't fully relate, but my best advice is to use the obstacles you face in life as inspiration in everything else you do. Seems to work well for HAndicapped and Special Olympic athletes and similar people. Got to hand it to them, they have overcome more than a lot of us will ever deal with at all.

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Sending healing vibes your way, Alvaro ~~~~

7. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Awful!!! My father suffered terribly from kidney stones, and my mother had gallstones. The pain is terrible, especially the kidney stones.

You know, my husband can eat whatever he wants, smoke and drink and what-not, and he's fine. He'll probably be just like his grandfather. Live to be 89, have a massive stroke...poof, gone, no lingering horrible death.

But me? I gain weight just thinking of food. Smoking is ruining my health, and I struggle with quitting. I have back and shoulder problems that can only be fixed by surgery, and no health insurance.

We got a raw deal on our health, man. But, you know, those people who have all the good health without even trying? They suffer from other things. Demons of the mind, or of the soul. Tragic losses. People they love who are sick or in pain or dead, haunt them. Or their own mistakes and regrets follow them. If not now, then later.

So, don't feel like you are God's mistake. God doesn't make mistakes. We just don't always understand what He's doing. All God's children suffer trials on this Earth. Its just their trials are different than ours.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}

Cherie

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Chicken, fish, not so much meat, cereal, milk derivates (lots of low fat cheese), rice, tuna, chicken ham... stuff like that. I always look for dietetic stuff when possible (even low sodium salt). Of course I also like pizza, hamburgers and such things, but I limit them to twice a month. Problem is that living alone it is very difficult to eat regularly (I mean, at the same hour every day). I must admit that my meal times aren't regular.

9. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh!!! Never underestimate the role water plays in one's health. Always drink enough water. If you don't like the taste, try a little lemon or lime juice in it. But make sure you drink enough!

Cherie

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Forgot a big (but not critical) one: Diagnosed with a telesystolic mitral valve prolapse at 12. :meh:

Thank you so much for your support, folks! :)

11. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I notice you don't mention fresh fruits and vegetables. Dairy, meat and grains just aren't very good for you, even if you're eating in a low-calorie low-fat low-sodium way (in fact, that just means more processed).

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I know. I love fruits and salads, but I don't take the time to go to a place where I can get really fresh ones. Mango and peach are probably the fruits I like the most, but I can't think of a single one I dislike.

13. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Life ain't fair. Some of us die of cancer before we're 10. Some of us...

winnielangleyKNP_228x340.

14. keep your chin up brother, it will all come your way one day. just some little detours in the road. when your feelin down just say to yourself "well at least i have a bongo and a ric and can play the hell out of a cowbell" hope all goes well for you my friend.

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

And I love it! :D

Thank you so much, Mike! :)

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Sure wish I didn't click on that pilonidal cyst link.

I've had kidney stones. The first time I had them, I woke up in the middle of the night in blinding pain. I was convinced I had ruptured something, and that I was going to die. I couldn't believe the level of pain.

17. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Dude that all sucks, but everybody gets a different experience in life. Me, I'm healthy as a horse even though I don't deserve to be. My diet is terrible, I smoke, don't exercise - yet no medical problems... BUT, try as I might, I really suck at bass. I don't get good tone, I can't improvise, I'm a slow learner and really can't play anything beyond intermediate level rock tunes... worst of all, I struggle to groove. So - want to trade?

18. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That pilodinal cyst sounds tough. Not to mention all the other stuff that has happened to you. All I have to say is don't let it get a mental edge on you. Hang in there brother. :)

19. Hang tough! My dad suffered from gout for a long time, so I know all about the troubles that uric acid crystals can cause! :meh:

20. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Sorry to hear about the health issues bro', as far as this surgerey goes.....it's cake.... been there done that,.... they removed a ziplok baggie full from me and i didn't even know i had em. :meh: Keep your chin up Stoney :) , and keep us posted.