Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WTT maybe: Benavente fretless 5 for Dingwall fretless 5

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Tony, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Man, I don't even know that I really want to do this - I love this bass. But I've finally come to the conclusion that I must have a multi-scale fretless. Since I can't have one built right now, and I can't afford to keep this bass and aquire another one, I guess maybe I'm thinking of trading. If you've got a fretless Dingwall and are interested in trading for an incredible bass, give me a yell.

I purchased this bass from Adrian Juras back in early May. It's a Vortex model; Brian Barrett was kind enough to email me the following info:

If memory serves me right, that bass was upgraded with the New Benvente preamp verse the older Demeter we used prior. It has an Ultra Jazz in the bridge and custom Dual coil Dimarzio in the neck. Its a Spalted maple top on Alder with maple neck.

The pups have wood covers, it's got all the cool Bene stuff like recessed strap locks. It sounds (*^%$ amazing, and plays like a dream. It's in virtually perfect condition, certainly the same excellent condition in which I recevied it from Adrian. I'll include a new Ritter gig bag. Adrian and Brian both told me I'd love this bass, and they were right. But maybe someone else out there will love it just as much, and maybe maybe that person has a fretless Dingwall for trade ...

No other trades and not for straight sale ... it's a Dinger or bust ...

Thanks for reading ...
    Take care,
    Tony

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats what I like to see, another converted to the fanned side lol. Thats one killer bass your offering for trade too :)

I cant wait to get my fretless Dinger in the works next year hehe. Good luck to you!

3. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Yeah, I'm really, really conflicted about selling this bass ... *sucking it up* ... but it's the right thing to do. I've had a jones for a Dingwall since I first played a Voodoo like 7 years ago, but for whatever reason, just never got one. I was actually looking for one when I saw this bass available, and I couldn't pass it up (I've been gas'ing for one of Chris' basses for a while) - the pic doesn't do it justice. This really is an amazing example of Chris' excellent work, and in a perfect world, I'd be keeping it, but ...

Thanks again,
    Tony

4. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    ... just because ...

Tony

5. Hey Tony-
    As an FYI.
    IIRC there are like three Dingwall fretless basses out there (i've got one of them -his 1st fretless AB), one is available at basscentral, the 3rd is a Z series.
    Fretless basses are pretty new to Sheldons work, initally he would only make fretlesses for players who had a prior Dingwall basess, now it appears he will be making them as part of the product line(although you'll have to confirm that w/ him) so you might just consider getting cash and buying the bass outright

6. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Well, that certainly explains a lot ... *LOL* ... thanks for the info.

Take care,
    Tony

7. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    ... on a trade for a fretted Dingwall 5-string. After mucho thought, and a short discussion with my band, the multi-scale (the 37" B, to be exact) is more important at this time than my playing fretless, so I'm willing to look at fretted instruments. I will definitely be getting a fretless multiscale built as soon as funds allow, but for now .... as I said earlier ... Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh ....

Thanks for looking,

Tony

btw, if anyone serious about trading needs more pics, I can take and email you all and any you need ... thanks.

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey Tony,

If you're still interested in trading that Benavente for a Dingwall Prima drop me a PM or e-mail. . .

Thanks.........................

9. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Pm's sent ...

Talk to you soon,
    Tony

10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    this is a very interesting thread and a very beautiful bass that is on the table. are you just looking for a fretless that has a tight sounding B or specifically a dingwall (dingwalls do have REALLY tight B's though)? i've played both a dingwall and a benavente and seen both...and not to knock either bass, but benavente's basses are more unique than dingwalls and it seems to me like you are giving a lot more than you'd be getting in your offer...granted i've never played a fretless bass with a novax...is the dingwall fretless THAT good? you've really sparked my interest! good luck either way...

11. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Hi Evan, thanks for the interest ...

My original thought was to keep the Bene while having a Novax scaled fretless built for me. However, it's become apparent that as good a bass as this is, it's just not the right instrument for the band I'm in, and the only bass I've heard that would/will be is either a Dingwall or similar (or perhaps a knuckle, however, I'm sold on the Novax concept, so that eliminates the knuckle from contention). This trade will/would allow me to go ahead with having a fretless built, while still satisfying my immediate need for the XXL B-string. While I'm certainly giving up an exceptional instrument, every Dingwall I've played has been an excellent instrument, and the one I plan on having built to replace it will be even more so - 35" G fanned to 38-39" B, with probably set neck construction
    :hyper:

Take care,
    Tony