Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wuld a 50 watt amp be loud enough...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dannmann678, May 16, 2004.

1. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    so im lookin for a new amp, but i was wondering if a 50 watt would be loud enough for band practice and playing live at a small place. could i hear myself over the drums? the guitarist has a 75 watt amp..

2. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    'ELL NO!

The general rule of thumb is to have 3 times the amp wattage of your guitarist(s) amp just to be heard.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Actually, it should really be 4 times the wattage if it's solid state vs. solid state or tube vs. tube. If he has tube and you have solid state, you're probably going to then need another 2 or 3 times the wattage. My friend's 50 watt Mesa can EASILLY overpower my 1,200 watt QSC PLX any day of the week, however, his cab is in fact much more efficient than mine are. The efficiency of your speakers does play a big role... 100 watts through 2 8x10s is going to be a lot louder than 1,000 watts through virtually anything else.

4. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    well the guitarist would be turned up only like half way, and i just want to be heard not boosted over everything...

5. Nope. Never happen.

:D

Every guitar player I've seen is deaf and runs his amp at 11.

My personal rule of thumb for bass wattage is 10:1, and you should run 2:1 or better 4:1 speakers.

6. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    but could 50 watts be heard over the drums?

7. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The answer is yes and no. Give us more to work with....what style of music, venues, what is your current equipment. I have played gigs with my 30 watt Roland Cube. They are small jazz duo and trio gigs.

8. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    He's not lying! I suggest you download that schematic that is floating around on the internet for the 20kw (output) amplifier. Have someone build that thing and then call the power company before you turn it on, so they can up their output.

Heh, ok joking aside, what you are hearing is right. You need a lot more wattage than your guitarist. When I was about 16, I only had a little 50w amp. It couldn't even keep up with 10 watt guitar practice amp's. Today, I use 200 watts in solid state, and it was just enough to keep up with 40 old-fender-tube-watts when they ran on "4.5". If they got up into "6" on their volume, I was getting dusted. Currently, I'm upgrading.

You can never have enough head room with bass. If you have a bajillion watts, say that you only use 400 of them (avg), but thats better than using all 400 watts of a 400 watt amp.

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Well, if you're ever in the NJ area I could sell you my old Crate 1x15" 100 watt combo for like $200, or whatever you're willing to pay for it. It is in fact loud enough to be heard over drums, but like most small yet loud bass amps, it's punchier than it is deep. If you want true depth, you need to spend a lot of money on a very large setup.

10. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    we play alternative but not hard. sort of like green day...
    currebtly the guitarist has a 30 watt amp. (he is upgrading soon), and i had a 20 watt amp, but it doesnt work anymore so i use a boom box with a mic input (it is rated at 30 watts, i can hear myself fine when we play).
    ..and we would play at a gazebo in front of the library in town, it doesnt have to be really loud either...

11. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would look into getting a combo with somewhere around 100 watts. The Ampeg B100R is a great sounding combo.

12. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    If you are on a budget, get the behringer bx3000t head and a cab from avatar speakers. I've got a bx3000t as a back up, but it is plenty loud (300watts)! It will run you about $200 bucks for the head, and you can probably find a used avatar 210 for around $150. I know that people around here bash the behringer stuff, but for the price, you can't get anything else with that much power or features.

13. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    wut other instruments were in it and wut amplification did they have?

14. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is a really good recommendation. You should look into it.

15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama

I have this exact setup(except for an Art LeVelar and a BBE 411 Maximizer.) The Avatar is a 4ohm 210 and works well in our 3 piece group. The guitar player runs a Soldano head into a Marshall cabinet and the drummer is pretty loud. As for the 50 watt amp in a group, I own a Behringer BX600 (supposed to be 60 watts.) In another group where I play drums, our bassist uses it at our practices. We keep the volume at moderate levels in a small room so it "gets by." If we played as loud as we do on stage it would be left in the dust.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    There will be no noticable difference in volume between a 30W and 50W amp. So if the 30W is good enough, the 50W will be better. Also, a real bass amp will give much better low end which will help the perceived volume.

17. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    ive decided to get a 100 watt amp, but i have a small budget.
    ...wut about a fender rumble 100???
    .. i tried it at guitar center and it sounded good, and i read good reviews about it... i would prolly get an ampeg or something like that if i had the money but i have a small budget like i sed...

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    How much is a Rumble?

19. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    300$ :bassist:

20. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    but wut do u guys think about fender..? are they good amps and do they last ect...