1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wut are the advantiges of buying new over used?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vacume, May 8, 2006.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    Im thinkin of purchasing a Ibanez SR 505 theres one here for 700$ canadian but I cant help but wonder if im wasteing money buying it new, and i cant seem to find a good used bass in my area. it just kinda seems like im throwin 2 - 3 hundred dollers down the drain. is there any really big advantiges to buyin it new?

2. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    some people get the satisfaction of, to put it frankly, "popping the basses cherry"

honestly, i'd rather save the cash, and get used in mint condition if i can find exactly what i like. however, i have to play it first. can't buy it without playing it.

3. no, not for mass produced basses. They have just as likely a chance as having a messed up truss rod, wrong wirings etc fresh out the factory as used basses. Go used if you can.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well...I'd personally like to buy one new.

Because once it's new I know it's never been played out by someone. It's got my 'chi' if you will.

No battle wounds, flawless. So whatever happens it to it will be my own.

used though, you get really good quality stuff sometimes. But I dunno. I guess it's the satisfaction of knows that's it's 100% yours.

-Mark

5. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    With a new bass, the store will likely go a little further to make sure you are happy with the purchase should any issues arise. If you buy a used bass from a music store, they still want you to be happy but they may not be willing to go quite as far to make you happy. If you buy a used bass anywhere else, you are pretty much on your own. Like a lot of things, it comes down to your own comfort with the risk versus the reward of lower prices.

If you really want the 505 and there are no used ones in your area; buying it new may make sense.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A big +1. You should notice, though, that buying new depends on the brand. I'd never buy a new Fender without trying it first (I'd never buy a Fender indeed [​IMG]), but in my pleasant experience with MusicMan, I can tell you that you can't go wrong buying one of those powerful beasts fresh from the factory.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It really depends. On a quality instrument, you are usually safe buying new from the factory. With that, you get the satisfaction of knowing you are its first owner.

On the other hand, buying used can give you a great value. I find this is useful when trying out equipment for the first time, to see if you like it.

8. I generally buy used if I can. Buying new, of course, gets you the manufacturer's warranty and that's the big reason to buy new. I just bought a new Fender Classic Series 50's P-Bass, though, because I had major GAS for it and the bass is relatively new on the market and I couldn't find a used one.