Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wut would be a good 100 watt combo???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dannmann678, May 5, 2004.

1. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    ok so ive been playin for like a year now... and lookin for a new amp. i have a 20 watt rogue combo right now and it sucks there is no low end to it...

but anyway im lookin for a combo amp that is about 100 watts or around that... i play alternative in a band, but i can barely hear myself over the drums... wut would be a good amp that would last, be loud, and put out a low bass sound???

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    used peaveyTNT sounds like your best bet.

Heavy as hell.

But F'ing loud... And indestructible. In fact, the army uses them as armor on their tanks.

3. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
    thanks, im wondering wut else would be good tho (i have a small budget... about $400 american dollars max)

4. dannmann678

dannmann678

May 5, 2004
  5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I highly recommend the Ampeg B100R. Great amp with a lot of low end. IMO one of the best sounding small combos out there.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    You might want to check out the Pignose B100V. It's 100 watts, it's an all tube combo, with a 15" speaker. And, it's only around 250 bucks. You can find them used on eBay, they show up quite frequently. I saw one in a pawn shop the other day, and almost bought it. (But, I need another amp like a hole in the head, although if I hadn't been forced to downsize my rig recently I probably would have bought it anyway).

7. If you can get the Ampeg B100R, it is a beut and a keeper! I have the Ampeg BA115, and love it.
    I highly reccomend though, that you try different amps with your bass and find one that sounds "right"! Although I like the Ampeg sound, you may not! Once you found one you like, go buy used and save the dough. D'oh! :D

8. you could find a used SWR Workingman 15 (160watts)

sounds great and really loud... I've been using one for gigging and at church for about 2 years now with out any trouble! very reliable and is the best sounding 15" combo I've tried....now it shall stay at church because I have my big rig for gigging :D

9. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Another vote for the Ampeg b100r. This amp is much louder than you might expect and has a nice phat tone. Ive put mine through hell and it still works fine.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I really like my Ampeg BA115SP... The effects module can be fun to f'around with.

11. What amps/equipment do your band mates have? It might give the rest of us a idea of how loud your going to have to be.

My vote is for SWR Workingsman. I have had the WM 12 for 4 -5 years and play with two guitars (1x12 combos), keys (my old 1X12 tube Traynor BassMate) and full drums. I can also hook up a 8ohm 1X15 speaker cab and fill the room with low end.

I grew up on Peavey and they might be the best bang (loud) for the buck but I think you will out grow them (that's when I got my WM 12).

Can you rent? Might be a good idea to experiment but it might add up the cost.

Hope that helps and good luck.

12. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Sabbath, that's just a cab :p

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I almost bought the Pignose Tube combo.... I ended up with a 70's Sunn for my tube needs. I bought an Ashdown MAG Combo as my drag around jamming amp.

for a cheap combo.... ASHDOWN either the Electric Blue or MAG series!!!

14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I'm buying a Fender rumble 100 in the summer. From my playing throught it a the store and what I red it's good.

15. I had a rumble 60... from my experience I wouldn't advise the 100 unless it's quite improved. noisy, not great tone, not taht much adjustability, and not taht cheap.
    I sold it to get a DB-500 (which was a steal new at $319) but you can't get those for under $400 now.

16. I'm looking for a Good Ampeg combo,which one you guys recomend?

at least one with 100watts :meh:

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I'll sell you one for $375 if you pick it up from Maryland. PM for details if interested.

18. damn, wish i lived in maryland :D
    dannmann, get that if you're in the area; unimpeachable tone and they're a commodity you can easily resell.

19. The yorkville XM200 can probably be had for around the same price of other 100 watt combos. Loud, and the tone is decent.