Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WW double buck, modulusQ5 or bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psycho-bass, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Psycho-bass

Psycho-bass

Apr 8, 2005
    France
    Hi , i'm looking for a new 5 strings bass. I don't search the perfect bass but one which suit me well. I play essentially Dub drum&bass disco and rock (I need a very fat sound!!)

The Bongo cost 2000 euros in france :mad: (I love the sound but the body is strange to me :) )

I can order a Q5 form bass central (near 3000$ with the ship) I've never play It but I like graphic neck and I can sell back in france at the same price or more if i dont like!

I can order a warwick double buck in germany at 860 euros + 10€ of transport :cool: . it's a very good deal. I have a great memory playing a bubinga corvette, but this one looks better with the 2 MM :rolleyes: but it have a swamp ash bobby (more delicate body and i don't like scratches on my bass!) . and it's one of the most sexy bass I've seen!

Which one for me? :help:
    WW is the best choice for my money and my eyes but for my music...?
    It's quite difficult to order in USA (taxes ans transport ship :rollno: )

Thanks! and sorry for my bad english grammar!

2. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    I think the choice is easy, the Warwick. Yes the first scratch will drive you up the wall, but you get over it. With me, I never really could enjoy playing a new bass until it has a ding or 2. After that you say, "what the hell" and just play the damned thing.

3. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    A mon avis: DoubleBuck.

Tu peux achêter 2 DoubleBucks pour le prix d'1 Bongo. Comme toi, je trouve la forme du Bongo bien moche. P'être dans un épisode de Star Trek... mais sinon...

Les Modulus sont de très bonne qualité, mais trois mille dollars pour une de ces basses... c'est trop. En plus, qu'est ce que tu vas faire si t'as des problèmes avec cette basse? Tu vas la revoyer aux Etats-Unis? Pour le prix d'une Q5, tu peux t'achêter une DoubleBuck plus une autre basse...

4. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    It's been a while since I actually had to write anything in French. I hope it's OK... :)

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    D'après moi tu serais mieu avec le Warwick $$ aussi. Sinon le Bongo. I don't think that graphite necks are known for their fatness.. I know that the Bongo can conjure up massive earthshaking tones. c'est vraiement fat cette basse la! Praconte pour 2000 euro... A mon avis le $$ devrait etre capable de produire un fat sound, parconte j'imagine qu'il va etre moins versatile que le Bongo car c'est seulement un 2-band quand le Bongo est 4-Band. Dérange toi pas avec les scratchs sur ta basse, ca arrive, t ca donne du caractère!

6. modulus. i got to play one once. it was one of the best basses i have ever played

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    worth 3000 EURO??????

8. ahhh i dont know. how much is that in usd

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    According to this nifty thing: http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

3000 Euro = $2321.44 US

Modulus... very good basses, but a tad overpriced IMO. Unless you buy used. And even then, you can get a Status bass (also has a graphite neck) for less money and those basses are said to have beyond excellent build quality. http://www.status-graphite.com And since Status is based in England, you may snag one for a lower price than we in the US can get them for.

One obvious advantage you have in Europe is that Warwicks are available at lower prices than in the US. A DoubleBuck 5-string retails at $1999 US in the US. I have a Warwick bias, though. Warwicks use good wood. And while swamp ash is lighter in weight, I wouldn't worry too much. I mean, people do world tours using guitars with lighter-weight tonewoods like ash or alder. What year was your Corvette? Was it pre-1997? Because the all-wenge neck has a different profile than the ovangkol-necked Warwicks of today. I personally like the new profile, but many don't.

I can't comment on the Bongo, but I did recently sample a Stingray. Nice bass, but it just didn't vibe right with me.

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've played some great Modulus basses, but if what I were going for was "fat", I wouldn't necessarily think first of a Modulus.

Can't comment on Warwick - never had one, probably never will, but that's my problem.

But does anyone think "fat" when they think of Modulus? I liked my flea and I played a Q5 that was seriously nice, but "fat"?

Nah.

11. Psycho-bass

Psycho-bass

Apr 8, 2005
    France
    Thanks for all you reply!
    For the quantum it was 3000€ (so near 3800$) :mad:
    I think i will order the warwick this afternoon!

RedVampyre you have a perfect french :smug:

12. Psycho-bass

Psycho-bass

Apr 8, 2005
    France
    I Think the neck was in ovangkol.
    I'll try to put a review of this bass with some sound here (it's good for my english :D that i didn't practice for a long time :p )

13. I think that if you look closely at the Italian market, you won't be deceive....
    www.luckymusic.com
    Every basses are cheaper than in France! THey're located in MIlano....Sipping worldwide!
    I just bought my F Bass BN5 there...

Salut
    Vince

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  15. Psycho-bass

Psycho-bass

Apr 8, 2005
    France
    I've just order it form http://www.musik-produktiv.de . The bass is a demonstration modél for their shop so it cost 150€ less than the prices in germany and 250 less than in France! I'm saving 400€!
    I think shops in germany are the best in europe, i bought my Markbass amp there and the prices was the same in italy.

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Some of their prices are substantially higher than like
    www.thomann.de/

And for some nice stuff, there's also this place:
    http://www.station-music.de/

Anyway, that's a very good price for the Corvette $$. You like the shape, you'll have the tone, so what are you waiting for ;)

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Then it was €710? It's even better :cool:

18. Psycho-bass

Psycho-bass

Apr 8, 2005
    France
    i did the wright choice with the WW doublebuck i think!

19. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Frank- thanks for the better currency converter thingie.

Oh, and enjoy the 'wick, Psycho-bass. I hope to join the Warwick club soon myself.

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You're welcome.
    And see you soon in the club! :cool: