Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WW update.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had a chance to play that WW Ultra I got from nonsqtr the other day, and I'm more impressed every time I put a signal through it. You know how sometimes you get a new piece and it kind of blows you away at first, then you go back and listen more closely and you can start to pick out the flaws? Not on this one.

I have a D-210XLT sitting on a D-115XL in my practice room, and it usually sounds OK, but isn't really "my sound" (I like the D-410XLT). With the WW these cabs sound amazing together. Yes, even better than the WT-800. Plenty of volume, gobs of bottom ... I don't know what this talk of weak bass is, but I sure don't hear any evidence of it. This one is going to see lots of gig time ... assuming I get a new gig.

Walter seems to have kept his Q values fairly narrow on the EQ section, because you can really dial in some very specific tones without one EQ band hijacking another and creating mush. You have very precice control of the frequency adjustments. As many have said, it's a very clean amp and uncolored (to my ear), giving back the sound of the bass driving it. I've tried it with the Sadowsky, Lakland, Fender Jazz FMT, Fender RB5 and Zon Sonus, and each has its own characteristics ... just the way I like it. I'll have to dig my SR5 out of the archives and see if this amp is a good one for it.

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Cool! Excellent news! One of a few on my "list" to aquire...

cheers,
    ~S~

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow, yet another "non-eden" head bought by munji.

we hardly knew ya............. ;)

4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    If you want to put together the ultimate light weight rig, check out the Kappa loaded Flite 115. I've tried every portable cab you can name with my WWU and this the ultimate portable rig!

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes and the WW is actually a little bit be .. bet ... b b b ...

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Walter's amps are what they are. Mine ain't goin' nowhere but to gigs with me! ;) Congrats on the score.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's okay to cry, man.

8. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Enjoy that WWU Munjibunga. I've had mine for a few years now it's one of those pieces of gear that I'll never sell. I'm always curious with WW users, where did you settle-in with your EQ settings? Have you discovered the "Send Mix" trick yet? It makes a noticeable difference if you keep that knob pushed above 12:00. It really helps to give the overall tone some body.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

I knew he couldn't say it out loud.

:ninja:

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yep, "send mix" does boost the bottom, so I just super-glued it all the way up.

OK, on EQ, I like the tone set thusly, so far:

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    took the words outta my mouth. :smug:

12. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Walter recommends not running the Send Mix past 12 o'clock, says it causes too much speaker flop.

13. Just did a relatively loud pop/funk gig this weekend with a Schroeder 1210, the WW Ultra and my trusty MTD535. I really like that combination.... extremely punchy and surprisingly loud for its size. I hadn't used the Walter lately due to my current infatuation with the TF550 :bassist: However, as others have said, the Walter is one piece of gear I'll never sell... it always sounds great.

14. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Are the new ones green? I've never seen that faceplate before on an Ultra.

15. Never heard that one... for real huh?
    I spoke with him before about the magic knob and he didn't mention that.... also, what is speaker flop?... I could only guess...

Anyhoo I frequently use mine all the way up. Sometimes at noon or 1:00.

Munj... nice earthy looking WWU.

16. He also recommended to me that you can run it all the way up... specifically said you would probably not notice the effect until above the 12 setting :confused: I've had mine all the way up for a long, long time... no problems.

17. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Not the first time I've heard him tell different stories about something. A while back he told me not to turn the pots back and forth to work out dirty pots, yet last week he told a friend of mine that was the best way to clean them. Go figure!Anyway, I've never cared for the sound of it past 12 or 1 o'clock.

18. +1 on the different stories from Walter! Someone on the DB side had a problem with a scatchy pot. I had that problem on the master volume of the channel I use 90% of the time after hundreds of gigs with it (Nothing I tried would fix it) . No big deal... called Walter and he said just ship it out. He replaced the pot, did a few 'updates', cleaned it up and I had it back within a week. The point of the story is another TBer asked him about scratchy pots about a month after that, and he told the person he's never had to replace a pot!!!!! Oh well.... he's probably very busy and gets distracted. I have nothing but praise for the guy... but I think the info that users get from each other might be more accurate than coming from Walter!

19. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    +1

20. Do they have a website that I could go out and look at?

Stumpy