1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WWII Airplane Models

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blipndub, Oct 13, 2013.

1. I've always had a deep interest in the aircraft of ww2; allied axis, all of it. i'm moving into a place that won't facilitate guitar building so I'm thinking of transferring that interest to aircraft model building. It's got the research and history, attention to detail and painting/finishing component so it feels right, but I don't know A Thing about it. Did some hot rod models when I was like 10.

I don't know much.. So how 'bout it, any bass/guitar builders turned model builders? Would love to thread about what you know and love. The notion of reliciing/weathering is so interesting to me considering what I've learned about aging guitars over the past years. Worked with Bill Nash for a couple years and got the bug of softening the edges so to speak.

I want to start with a Ju 87 or 88. The German machines are just so badass I figure it's a good place to start, but i would love to do a B-17, a Corsair or Hellcat, Mitsubishi and others.

I'll put my chips on the table with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Revell-Germany-Junkers-Buster-Plastic/dp/B0032ALYMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1381652388&sr=1-1&keywords=junkers+ju+87

Or do I go with a $50 Hasagawa kind of thing? What do you think? 48? 72?

[​IMG]

2. What scale you go with really depends on how many kits you intend to build, and how much space you have. The larger the scale, the more detail the model will have. 1/72 are fairly basic in terms of detail level, but small enough to build a decent collection without needing much room. 1/48 are fairly well detailed, but require more room for a collection. You can also get laser etched detail kits for some models, for an extra level of detail. A 1/48 Stuka will have a wingspan of around 1 foot.

Revell, Airfix, and Matchbox kits are usually pretty good, but some kits from all three manufacturers (Airfix 1/72 P-51D, for example) are really nice. Hasegawa and Tamiya kits have far more detail though.

Here is a brief review of the kit you are looking at. Bear in mind that this appears to be a re-release of a kit which was designed 40 years ago, and that this is reflected in the level of detail. http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/rm/kit_rm_5250.shtml

It could be a good starting point though, to see if this is something you want to do.

I love WWII aircraft. Actually, I love military aircraft of any type or time. I've built a lot of WWII models, a few jets, and a couple of WWI fighters. I've even built a civilian plane, but that was an exception. The only other commercial plane I can see myself building is a Lockheed Super Constellation.

I've also built some WWII tanks, ships, and a couple of sailing ships. I currently have a few cars to build, along with my backlog of planes. I can't remember everything I have built, and they're all packed away in storage boxes, but I know there are a Zero, MkIX Spitfire, P-38J Lightning, Lancaster, B-17, Yak-9, Churchill Bridge-laying tank, Sherman tank, and a JagdPanzer.

Waiting to be finished are Porsche 959, '99 Honda 500 GP bike, MiG-25 Foxbat, F-14 Tomcat (my second one), F-101 Voodoo, Supermarine Stranraer, Supermarine Schnieder Trophy racer, 1/24 Focke Wulf FW-190, 1/24 MK-24 Spitfire, Lancia Stratos, Lotus 99T Formula 1, Ford Cosworth Sierra, Dornier Flying Boat, Dornier Arrow, B-24 Liberator, and many, many more.

My current time-consumers are a Monogram 1/48 Northrop P-61 Black Widow, and the North American XB-70 Valkyrie in 1/72. I'd also like to get a Convair B-58 Hustler. I tend to look for more unusual models now.

Thinking about it now, I believe I've never had a Messerschmitt BF-109. Unless there's a 1/24 kit packed away with the 1/24 FW-190...

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I think 1/48 is a good compromise in size. I like the 1/32 scale the best but then you run into storage/display issues as you start to run out of room!
    The Tamiya/Hasegawa stuff is great. I used to get a lot of my kits online from: http://www.squadron.com/

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Used to build models as a kid but haven't done it in forever. My 2 favorites I did were an A-10 Fairchild and a '70's Indy Pacecar Corvette, but I think the Corsair with its bent wings is the most beautiful airplane ever made.

5. Thanks for the links those are really helpful. I ordered the Revel JU-87 last night I'll let you know how it goes!

ooh this is a nice one!
    TM60784-2T.

and my father flew one of these for 20 years so i probably should get this one too!

[​IMG]

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    To add: The corvette was cool because it was 1/8 scale, very detailed and realistic. I even swept off a spot in the yard so the gravel stones didn't look too big, took a picture of it, and mailed it to a girl telling her it was my real car (didn't work :) ), but the A-10 was still by far my favorite. Modern day version would be the A-10 Warthog. Youtube some videos of how that plane can maneuver, it's nuts. What a piece of art that thing is.

Did a few other models but don't remember what they all were, those 2 are burned in my mind. I never did get a Corsair.....your thread has me thinking of getting one now. :)

7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Love the A-10. In real life I am a private pilot. If there is one military plane I could have a chance to fly I would go with the Warthog. Of course that is a dream that will never come true.

8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I'm a very avid aircraft fan ( I model H.O. scale trains from the 1970's tho.) and can always appreciate a well made model, especially one that involves prototype specific research and a bit more work than just assembling the stock kit. I work with an Iwata airbrush and various lacquers + Dupont 3602 to paint with, and weather using Artists oils, chalks, drybrush and airbrush.......

A little of all of that......
    trains4017_zps55b086dc.

blipndub likes this.
  9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That looks awesome!

As much as I love modeling, I was just never good with paint, weathering, and other post-production stuff. Unfortunately, most of the really cool and advanced kits require being able to have your painting skills down.

10. TBird that's really fantastic, thanks for posting. Love it!

Anyone else want to post some pics of their work, would be great to see!

11. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I have a finished 1/72 B-52 in Vietnam War era colors (black underside, green cammo upper) to hang over the layout - no pics tho ;) I'll fix that.

12. I spent hundreds if not thousands on models in my formative years(70s/80s)... I go through phases of buying a few, haven't finished one in decades. Maybe one or two in the past ten. WW-II is definitely my favorite era- I have a lot of unbuilt American, Japanese and German AC, mostly 1/72.
    To help w/the OP's question(s)- IME/IMO, Revell is usually not bad but some of their reissues of other brands are iffy. Look for recessed panel lines and research how old the original issue of a particular kit is. Hasegawa and Tamiya are expensive but worth it if you want accuracy and detail.
    Post pics!

13. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    I was into it back in the 70's when photos were much more expensive to acquire. Nowadays, of course, there are tons of WWII photos on the interwebs.
    My suggestion would be to concentrate on accuracy first. Study a little about how the airplanes were constructed. There's no such thing as studying too many photos or going to too many museums. You'll be surprised about how quickly you'll develop an eye for things about model kits that are inaccurate.
    IMO, realistic-looking weathering, wear and battle damage are the real challenge. You might want to save that challenge for later on.

14. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Good idea. The OP is fortunate to have the Boeing Museum of Flight and Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection nearby. Both have outstanding examples of WWII aircraft.

15. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
  16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Used to build these when I was younger, amazing I didn't up with brain damage from all the glue fumes. Favourite WWII build was the Mosquito, overall favourite was the F4 Phantom.

17. Great suggestion, I'll have to get up North to the museums!

18. http://www.arcair.com/Gal-Archives/prop/Junkers-Ju-87-Stuka/02.shtm

As you say Stuka galore.
    I've actually ordered two Stutkas to try:

JU 87 Tankbuster
    revell-junkers-ju87-gd-tank-buster.

and this kind of odd one from ebay:
    ju88gbt.

Technically though stuka refers to dive bombers, right?

Thanks for the offer to pick your brain I'm really interested.

19. The term *Stuka* is a short version of the German word for dive-bomber, so there were many WW-II German aircraft that could.be called Stuka, but most of the time it means the Junkers Ju-87. The origins of Hitler and Gemanys interest in dive-bomber is an intersting facet of this era.