WWJD (What would Jaco do?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Dec 14, 2004.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've got a decision to make re: my '66 vintage Jazz and I'd like some opinions from you all. The headstock decal is all but gone - time has taken it's toll - and I'm considering replacing it with a new one. I encountered a guy on ebay that sells them and he also will do the application for a reasonable fee, and also a refinishing of the headstock if I so desire. The bass is not completely original since the nut was replaced with a brass one, and it has a Badass II bridge on it.

What I haven't been able to determine is, if the deep color of the wood would be affected by the refinishing process or not. Maybe someone on TB has had this done and can advise me.

Many thanks,

Tony Noriega
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, as far as trusting your baby to some guy you met on ebay... I dunno. Have you seen several examples of his work? Can he back up his claims with testimonies from customers? How long has he been working on re-finishes? Be extremely careful when letting people do sensitive work such as a refinish. A bad pickup wiring can be fixed, a bad re-finish might leave your bass forever screwed.
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004

I repeat, yikes. Have your bass appraised by George Gruhn. Ask him how it would appraise as is, how it would appraise with a quality headstock refinish and new logo, and how it would appraise with a botched headstock refinish and botched new logo.

Then, if he thinks a good refin/logo would increase the value or you can live with the depreciation, ask him who's refinish work he approves of.
  4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine

Unless there's something threatening the integrity of the wood, leave it alone. Personally, I absolutely love the haggard look of a well played vintage axe, just oozes awesome personality and individuality. Also I don't think nut/fret replacement (absolutely necessary on a player's bass eventually) detracts from intrinsic value nearly as much as refins (even partial ones).

In other words, if it's strictly for cosmetic reasons, I'd personally strongly recommend against it, which obviously also makes the trust question regarding the eBay guy moot.
  5. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    That's precisely the kind of input I needed! I would still like to get a few more opinions to round out my decision-making process.

6. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    going by your thread title, Jaco would leave it alone. I don't think he cared much about the appearance of wear and tear on his basses.
  7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I wouldnt alter the bass any further. It will lose most of its value

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  9. Like most problems, this one can be solved by quoting a Rush song's title: "Leave That Thing Alone." :D :cool:
  10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA

It has mojo.
  11. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    original or refin body? if its already a refin, replacing a decal isnt going to be a big deal if its all but gone already.
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO

I plan on playing my two axes until they come unglued. A bass that wore out yourself is the ultimate in bass cosmetics nirvana. Besides, people pay good money to have their basses "reliced" AKA thrashed in the factory- got it that way for free, so why pay to change it :D.
  13. tonynoriega

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    OK guys.....you've convinced me. Almost all of the responses encouraged me to leave it as is. That's exactly what I'm going to do! Thanks for your input.

Tony Noriega