1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WWU, LMII or Walkabout for HT112/EX112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fas550, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Fas550

Fas550 A Firm Soundation

Dec 22, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I need advice... I really want and intend to get a Walter Woods Ultimate for my Berg HT112/EX112 stack, but they're really hard to find and I expect it to take time. So, in the meantime I'm mulling over my options to use until I get that WWU.

The Markbass LMII seems to be very popular on TB, but as a fan of the Mesa Boogie Walkabout, would that be a good option? Specifically, just as there is a synergy between the LMII and the mini bergs, is there a similar synergy between the Walkabout and this stack? Does the Walkabout have enough power for the rather inefficient bergs? Anyone have experience with this combo?

2. I've heard the LM2 with the Berg stack and it sounds great. There are, I believe, a few people on the board who use this combo. I'm sure they will chime in.

3. The LMII will be MUCH closer to the tone profile of the WW (clean, crisp and tight) versus the very vintage and very tube warm sounding Walkabout.

Regarding the Walter, if you are looking for a used one, that might take some time. For a new one, Walter always says they will take a year or more, and more often than not delivers within a few weeks or a couple months at the most.

The WW Ultra sounds very good with the Berg cabs, but so does the LMII. For those small, relatively efficient Berg's, I would think the LMII would be a better bet (and you'll save... OK, ready.... around $1,700). That's a no brainer, get the LMII...forget the Walter:D For the bigger, more power hungry Berg's with the hi xmax drivers like the 's' stack, the original 210, and the HT322, the Walter kills the LMII IMO and IME.

Edit: Price fix for the Walter

4. Fas550

Fas550 A Firm Soundation

Dec 22, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I think I've read a thousand threads about LMII and Berg cabs working well together, so that is certainly a 'known'.

kjung, I'm surprised that you don't consider the walter's tone more in line with the walkabout versus the LMII. From what very little I've heard, the walkabout and the walter are not that dissimilar. I've also read that the ht112/ex112 "open up" when fed sufficient wattage, as available in the WWU. I think that info came from tombowlus - Sorry, Tom if I'm misquoting you.
    Fred

5. Man, those two heads are the farthest apart you could get. The Walkabout, with the multiple tubes in the input section, is meant to emulate the vibe of the old AmpegB15... it is very warm, very tubey.

The Walter Woods (I've owned 3:D ) is the definition of clean, clean, clean. The older model Walters (from 12-15 years ago) were a little more fat and warm (actually, more similar to the LMII than the newer Walters), but nothing like the Walkabout. I[m not saying the Walter is a 'sterile' sounding amp. It's not that super hi fi class D thing like the iAmp. But, it's pure SS quick and clean, and the low end is quite compressed to my ear. The Walkabout actually has some 'emulated tube bloom' in the low end, and that 'Fender tone stack' sounding midrange.

Very, very, very different... as different as can be.

Regarding 'opening up', that is surely the case with the high xmax (i.e., the lower efficiency versions of Jim's cabs that have that deep low end extension) cabs from Bergantino like the HT322 and the 's' stack. The LMII would have plenty of power (and much more than the Walkabout) to drive than little 2x112 stack.

6. Fas550

Fas550 A Firm Soundation

Dec 22, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Great info, kjung ! Wish it were easier to just try something like the Walter Woods out. Well, the LMII is an easy choice as I appear to be surrounded by GCs, who I believe is the US outlet. Thanks for sharing your first hand experience.
    Fred

7. And just to be clear... the Walkabout is a WONDERFUL sounding head if you are looking for old school warmth and a very 'all tube amp' sound in a small and relatively inexpensive package. It's a great head, and the 112 combo is quite amazing. That is one of the best 112's I've heard, with the extended low end coming from that port/passive radiator design, and the three way switchable crossover... quite nice!!!!

However, as above, if you are looking for a somewhat more modern, quicker, tight sound, the LMII is quite impressive, and for $1,700 less than the Walter Woods... well, it's pretty darn good).

Edit: Price fix for the Walter.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    +1 on the Walkabout combo cab. I bypassed the head and ran my LMII into one of those and a Bag End S15-D loaded witha Delta Pro 15 and it was sick. A friend of mine uses that little setup (subbing an SD800 for the LMII) as his main rig in a fairly loud Rock band. Pretty eyeopening.
    :D

9. +1 I've used my LMII with my 8 piece funk/soul band(loud drummer,3 horns etc) thru the NV610 & it was AMAZING the amount of sound this li'l beast produces! This was running @ 4ohms-so full 500w!!!! Only had to have it on 1/3 power approx. Also used it -again w/ the Berg NV610 in a hard rock band(5 piece-2 gtrs-one Marshall 100w 1/2 stack one Fender twin, & keys) again it produced the goods-in abundance!!!!! I just adjusted the VLE & VPF filters back n forth depending on the flavour of the song & I had MANY compliments on many sound that night! Why didn't I take my tube amps?...... good question... A. couldn't be bothered! ;-)

10. I'm incredibly intrigued by Walter Woods amps, yet I can't seem to find any info on them. Does he have a website? Link anyone? Sorry for the thread hijack, and as to put it back on course, I really like the Walkabout, but it looks like I'm getting beat with the LMII.

11. Walter does not advertise and has no website. He can be contacted by phone, but many times closes his phone line for a month or more when he has a lot of orders. If you are seriously considering one of these amps (the Ultra is about $2,400), PM me and I'll gladly give you Walters phone number.

Edit: Fixed Walter price.

12. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Ultra is $2395.

13. Thanks for the clarification. There were a few posts talking about the $2,800 figure, but that might have been a 'used' price or something, since there are quite a few bidding wars for these in the EU. I'll fix my post above.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I love the Walkabout, and it is one of my favorite sounding heads, but I agree that it doesn't quite have the juice to really get the Bergs moving. The WWU is still probably the best head that I have heard with the HT112/EX112 (though the Glock Heart-Core may best it - I need to do that particular shootout some time), but I think that you would be very happy with an LMII driving the Bergs while you look for your WWU. That LMII is very impressive, and definitely a good match for those cabs.

Tom.

15. Fas550

Fas550 A Firm Soundation

Dec 22, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Tom, I think it might have been one of your posts that got me interested in the walkabout where it was described as a great preamp for an IP112/EX112 stack. My thoughts were that if I got a walkabout now, down the road I could add an IP112, driven by pre-out and drive the additional ht112 off the amp output. Tons of flexibility there, but I would consider that path an alternative to moving up to a WWU. However, it sounds like the LMII is a better option if I intend to go the WWU route.

I receive my berg stack later today, thanks to xqusemuah, and will initially hook it up to my old IVP pre/Yamaha P2200 rack setup (and '76 Jazz). If that just doesn't cut it, it's off to GC for an LMII.

More importantly, I have front row center seats to see Stanley Clarke tonight. I'm pumped!

Fred

16. Cool on Stanley. Bring your plugs... he plays VERY loud at this point in his career:eek:

17. Fas550

Fas550 A Firm Soundation

Dec 22, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Appreciate the advice, Kjung. I was wondering about that. I wish I could tivo the whole thing to figure out how he pulls off some of his wizardry.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Ah, yes, that is indeed a killer setup. I wish they made a Walkabout preamp. It's one of the best sounding pre's on basstasters, IMHO.

Tom.

19. Fas550

Fas550 A Firm Soundation

Dec 22, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    In fact, to my ear and for the sounds I seek, only the WWU sounds better than the walkabout on basstasters.

So what's the deal with the glockenklang heart core. I'm not familiar with that unit. Guess I need to do some research - and patiently await your review, Tom!

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Heart-Core predates even the Bass Art Classic head, and supposedly, it is their most high-end, all-out signal purity champ head. The thing is, it is rated at 'only' 400w (into 4 ohm), but I found that it more than kept up with the 800w Markbass SD800, and it filled the medium-small bar we were playing with no PA support at all, and had tons of headroom left.

Tom.